Looking for a Reference on Smoothers for FEA

In summary, the geometric multigrid (GMG) and Vanka smoothers are both iterative methods used to solve large linear systems of equations arising from discretized partial differential equations (PDEs). The GMG smoother works by using a hierarchy of grids to reduce the computational cost, while the Vanka smoother is specialized for handling zeros on the diagonal of a sparse matrix and improving convergence. Both have been shown to significantly reduce the cost of solving PDEs in various applications.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,

Can anyone point me to a quantitative explanation of the geometric multigrid and Vanka smoothers? I found a qualitative article describing the GMG smoother, but it doesn't quantify how much it reduces the cost of a problem. I have found nothing yet on the Vanka smoother except that it is specialized for the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations and that it might be used for handling zeros on the diagonals of a sparse matrix. Any sources or summaries you have are much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am a scientist with a background in computational mathematics and I would be happy to provide you with a quantitative explanation of the geometric multigrid (GMG) and Vanka smoothers.

First, let's start with the GMG smoother. GMG is a multigrid method which is used to solve large linear systems of equations arising from discretized partial differential equations (PDEs). It is based on the idea of solving the problem on a hierarchy of grids with different levels of resolution. At each level, the solution is improved by applying a smoother, which is an iterative method that reduces the error in the solution. This smoother can be any iterative method, such as Gauss-Seidel or Jacobi.

The key advantage of GMG is its ability to reduce the computational cost of solving a problem. This is achieved by using a coarse grid to approximate the error in the solution, which is then transferred to the finer grid. This reduces the number of iterations needed to achieve a desired level of accuracy, thus reducing the overall cost of the problem.

Now, let's move on to the Vanka smoother. The Vanka smoother is a specialized smoother that is used for solving the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations, which govern the flow of fluids. It is specifically designed to handle the zeros on the diagonal of the sparse matrix that arises from the discretization of these equations.

The Vanka smoother works by solving a smaller system of equations on a subset of the grid points, which are known as Vanka points. These points are chosen in a way that ensures the smoother is stable and effective in reducing the error. By solving this smaller system, the Vanka smoother is able to handle the zeros on the diagonal of the matrix and improve the convergence of the overall solution.

In terms of quantifying the effectiveness of these smoothers, it is difficult to give a general answer as it depends on the specific problem and implementation. However, in general, both the GMG and Vanka smoothers have been shown to significantly reduce the computational cost of solving linear systems arising from PDEs. This has been demonstrated in various studies and applications, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, and structural mechanics.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concepts of GMG and Vanka smoothers and their role in reducing the cost of solving PDEs. If you have any further questions or would like more specific information, please do not hesitate to ask. Good

What is a smoother in FEA?

A smoother in FEA (Finite Element Analysis) is a method used to improve the accuracy and convergence of numerical solutions. It is used to reduce the errors and improve the quality of the solution by smoothing out the values of the solution at each iteration.

Why are smoothers important in FEA?

Smoothers are important in FEA because they help to improve the accuracy and convergence of the solution. This is especially important when dealing with complex geometries and material properties, where the solution may have large variations and errors. Smoothers help to reduce these errors and improve the overall quality of the solution.

What are the different types of smoothers used in FEA?

There are several types of smoothers used in FEA, including Jacobi, Gauss-Seidel, and Successive Over-Relaxation (SOR). These smoothers differ in the way they update the solution at each iteration, and some may be more effective for certain types of problems than others. Additionally, there are also more advanced smoothers such as Multigrid and Preconditioned Conjugate Gradient (PCG).

How do I choose the right smoother for my FEA problem?

The choice of smoother depends on the specific problem you are trying to solve. Factors such as the geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions can all affect the performance of different smoothers. It is important to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each smoother and to test them on your problem to determine which one is most effective.

Are there any resources available for learning more about smoothers in FEA?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about smoothers in FEA. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and research papers. Additionally, many FEA software packages also have documentation and user guides that explain the different types of smoothers and how to use them effectively.