Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a source for equation for power

1. Jan 22, 2016 #1
    I'm trying to reference a source for the equation P=(MxAxS)/T. power=(mass x acceleration/gravity x displacement) / time. I cant find a source, any help would be great.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2016 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did gravity get in there?
    Power is Work/time and that's Mass X Acceleration X displacement / time but it can be re-written in dozens of different ways. But that one, above, doesn't make sense to me. Check your source, perhaps.

4. Jan 22, 2016 #3
    I think OP meant acceleration/gravity in the sense that it's acceleration or acceleration due to gravity. Poor choice of notation is all. Probably.

5. Jan 22, 2016 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

So, that would work for an elevator or hydro plant. What do you mean by needing a "source"? This is a pretty fundamental definition/equation.

6. Jan 22, 2016 #5
    Yeah sorry for the confusion, I have no study of physics I am studying strength and conditioning so very unfamiliar with these equations. I'm looking at the power generation while squating so I'm referring to gravity as the acceleration. I know this equation is fundamental and I am new to writen work I just can't find a definitive place for my Harvard referring of it.

7. Jan 22, 2016 #6
    All I'm really looking for is who came up with this equations or a place I can go to reference it. A book, website or similar.

8. Jan 22, 2016 #7

Doc Al

To get a better understanding of power, start here: Power

9. Jan 22, 2016 #8

russ_watters

As far as who came up with them, you can start with the brief history on the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy#History

I don't think there is all that much value in this and I'm not sure why you would want to know. It's largely just a history lesson that doesn't really have anything to do with the use of the concept. So I'd spend your time on Doc's link instead.

10. Jan 23, 2016 #9
    Power is simply how much work can be done , or energy spent with respect to time...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook