1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a source for equation for power

1. Jan 22, 2016 #1
    I'm trying to reference a source for the equation P=(MxAxS)/T. power=(mass x acceleration/gravity x displacement) / time. I cant find a source, any help would be great.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2016 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

How did gravity get in there?
    Power is Work/time and that's Mass X Acceleration X displacement / time but it can be re-written in dozens of different ways. But that one, above, doesn't make sense to me. Check your source, perhaps.

4. Jan 22, 2016 #3
    I think OP meant acceleration/gravity in the sense that it's acceleration or acceleration due to gravity. Poor choice of notation is all. Probably.

5. Jan 22, 2016 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

So, that would work for an elevator or hydro plant. What do you mean by needing a "source"? This is a pretty fundamental definition/equation.

6. Jan 22, 2016 #5
    Yeah sorry for the confusion, I have no study of physics I am studying strength and conditioning so very unfamiliar with these equations. I'm looking at the power generation while squating so I'm referring to gravity as the acceleration. I know this equation is fundamental and I am new to writen work I just can't find a definitive place for my Harvard referring of it.

7. Jan 22, 2016 #6
    All I'm really looking for is who came up with this equations or a place I can go to reference it. A book, website or similar.

8. Jan 22, 2016 #7

Doc Al

To get a better understanding of power, start here: Power

9. Jan 22, 2016 #8

russ_watters

As far as who came up with them, you can start with the brief history on the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy#History

I don't think there is all that much value in this and I'm not sure why you would want to know. It's largely just a history lesson that doesn't really have anything to do with the use of the concept. So I'd spend your time on Doc's link instead.

10. Jan 23, 2016 #9
    Power is simply how much work can be done , or energy spent with respect to time...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook