1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Looking for an acoustic physics book

1. Apr 15, 2015 #1
    In particular, something focused on the acoustics of musical instruments and ideally with a bit of the physics behind playing techniques.

In terms of my preparation, I've completed math up through linear algebra, ODEs and multivariable calculus. I've also completed all of the "core" electrical circuits stuff and a transmission lines course (I bring that up because the books I browsed at the library often used analogies to electrical circuits and transmission lines, using almost entirely the same math as I've done in transmission lines).

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2015 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

Not exactly what you're looking for, but you may find it interesting:

http://bayes.wustl.edu/etj/music.html

4. Apr 15, 2015 #3
    Have you seen Musical Acoustics by Donald Hall? I have it on my shelf but I haven't looked at it in years. I used it for an elective course called the Physics of Music while I was in school. To my recollection it isn't super rigorous, but it might suit your needs.

5. Apr 15, 2015 #4

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The books by Arthur Benade are available in Dover Editions. These are nice introductions.

There is also the book by Rossing and Fletcher that is more advanced. (Springer).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted