• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Looking for an acoustic physics book

• Classical
  • Thread starter jack476
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

In particular, something focused on the acoustics of musical instruments and ideally with a bit of the physics behind playing techniques.

In terms of my preparation, I've completed math up through linear algebra, ODEs and multivariable calculus. I've also completed all of the "core" electrical circuits stuff and a transmission lines course (I bring that up because the books I browsed at the library often used analogies to electrical circuits and transmission lines, using almost entirely the same math as I've done in transmission lines).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Answers and Replies

Jano L.
Gold Member
In particular, something focused on the acoustics of musical instruments and ideally with a bit of the physics behind playing techniques.

In terms of my preparation, I've completed math up through linear algebra, ODEs and multivariable calculus. I've also completed all of the "core" electrical circuits stuff and a transmission lines course (I bring that up because the books I browsed at the library often used analogies to electrical circuits and transmission lines, using almost entirely the same math as I've done in transmission lines).

Not exactly what you're looking for, but you may find it interesting:

http://bayes.wustl.edu/etj/music.html

Have you seen Musical Acoustics by Donald Hall? I have it on my shelf but I haven't looked at it in years. I used it for an elective course called the Physics of Music while I was in school. To my recollection it isn't super rigorous, but it might suit your needs.

Quantum Defect
Homework Helper
Gold Member

The books by Arthur Benade are available in Dover Editions. These are nice introductions.

There is also the book by Rossing and Fletcher that is more advanced. (Springer).