Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for confirmation on probability homework question?

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1
    Looking for confirmation on probability!

Sorry, posted in wrong forum. It was a probability question which is why I posted it here. Can someone move it to homework section if need be. Thanks!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone let me know if I am doing this correctly, because the answer I am getting seems to small. I thought the probability would be much higher since the woman out number the men by over 50% and we are just looking for 1.

Question: Suppose that a programming team has 17 women and 15 men. Three people must be chosen to work on a special project. What is the probability that the group selected has at least 1 women in it?

My work:

(17C1) -> To choose 1 women
    (15C2) -> To choose 2 men
    (32C3) -> Total groups of 3 among all people

(17C1)(15C2)
    --------------
    32C3

17 * 105
    --------

----- = .360

I've seem some examples where they subtract this answer from 1 which not looks more reasonable, but is it correct and can someone explain why?

ex.. 1 - .360 = .640

Thanks for any input!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Read the statement carefully: at least one woman.

4. Mar 27, 2013 #3
    Ahh, so would I use:

(17C1 + 17C2 + 17C3) / 32C3 to account for having 1,2 or 3 women chosen? Or would I have to account for the 8 possibilities of women/men?

Thanks for feedback. I hope this doesn't get deleted for my lack of reading. I was just getting ready to erase it and repost..

5. Mar 27, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Not quite. If you have for instance exactly 2 women, is the number of possiblities 17C2? Aren't you forgetting something?

And this might be a good time to use the other method you mention: 1 - something.

6. Mar 27, 2013 #5
    I'm forgetting the men.. So would it be..

(17C1)(15C2) + (17C2)(15C1) + 17C3
    -------------------------------------
    32C3

I was thinking of subtracting the result from 1. Do I have to account for no women..

7. Mar 27, 2013 #6

DrClaude

Right.

Why would you do that? Calculate the value numerically and see what makes sense. There is a way to calculate the initial problem as 1-something. Can you figure that one out?

Account in what way?

8. Mar 27, 2013 #7
    Hmm, I think I got it now.

1 - ((15C3) / (32C3)) = .908

So calculate the probability of no women from the total, than subtract it from 1.

I calculated it my long way above and I get the same answer. Can you confirm this is correct :<)

Thanks for your help on this.

9. Mar 27, 2013 #8

DrClaude

That is indeed correct.

You're welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook