What is the Probability of Choosing a Woman or Someone with Black Eyes?

• Thread starter Samurai44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of choosing a person who is either a woman or has black eyes from a group of 20 men and 12 women is 22/32. The inclusion-exclusion principle was used to calculate this probability by subtracting the number of women with black eyes (4) from the sum of the number of women (12) and the number of men with black eyes (10). This principle is used whenever counting members of overlapping sets in order to find probabilities involving "or" statements.
Samurai44

Homework Statement

Q1) In a group of 20 men and 12 women, half of the men have black eyes and a third of the women have black eyes. if a person is chosen randomly, what is the probability that the person is a women or black eyes?
Q2)
DSC_0760.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1)total people= 32 ,,, black eyes = 10/32 (men) + 4/32 (women) = 14/32
so a women OR black eyes = 12/32 + 14/32 = 26/32 .. BUT the correct final answer is 22/32 !
Q2) couldn't understand the question or solve it :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Samurai44 said:

Homework Statement

Q1) In a group of 20 men and 12 women, half of the men have black eyes and a third of the women have black eyes. if a person is chosen randomly, what is the probability that the person is a women or black eyes?
Q2)
View attachment 77144

so a women OR black eyes = 12/32 + 14/32 = 26/32 .. BUT the correct final answer is 22/32 !

For (1): use the inclusion-exclusion principle.

For (2): do you know what conditional probabililties are? You are being asked to calculate the probability that the cost is too low, given the person is in college.

Question (2) is poorly worded and very ungrammatical, and whoever wrote it should be ashamed of themselves. Also, the question does not make sense to me in practical terms: it is asking about the group of students who say "I am not paying enough for my college education".

Samurai44 said:
Alternative approach for (1) to Ray Vickson's - how many of the people would count as a success in picking someone female or black-eyed?
(but I recommend you look up the inclusion-exclusion approach too... this is a nice case to understand it)

And I completely support RV on Q2 - the table is not well-described and there isn't even a question or a directive action verb like "State" or "Calculate". Here's my quick interpretation of what the text should say:
A survey was undertaken asking current and former students their opinion on the costs of attending college. The table below presents the proportion of respondents who answered in each of three possible categories, also split by whether they were in college presently or not.

Calculate the probability that a student in college would give the response that the cost of attending college is too low.
However, I can entirely believe that a population of students would have a proportion who respond that costs are too low, even if only to scramble the survey results :-)

Samurai44 said:

Homework Statement

Q2)
View attachment 77144

Yes, there are 32 people, 12 of them women and 10 are men with black eyes. So a total of 12+ 10= 22 are women or have black eyes. Your first calculation counts all men and women with black eyes- You have the probability a randomly chosen person is a man or has black eyes.
Your second counts the 12 women and the 14 people, both men and women, who have black eyes- you are counting the women with black eyes twice!

Ray Vickson said:
For (1): use the inclusion-exclusion principle.
".

Joffan said:
Alternative approach for (1) to Ray Vickson's - how many of the people would count as a success in picking someone female or black-eyed?
(but I recommend you look up the inclusion-exclusion approach too... this is a nice case to understand it)

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, there are 32 people, 12 of them women and 10 are men with black eyes. So a total of 12+ 10= 22 are women or have black eyes. Your first calculation counts all men and women with black eyes- You have the probability a randomly chosen person is a man or has black eyes.
Your second counts the 12 women and the 14 people, both men and women, who have black eyes- you are counting the women with black eyes twice!
Thanks you all guys!
So its like i have set "Black eyes" which equal to 14 , and set "women" which equal to 12 , and the intersection is 4 ..
so P(B) + P(W) - P(BnW) --> 14 + 12 - 4 =22
but how do i know when to use this principle ?

Samurai44 said:
how do i know when to use this principle ?
When counting members of overlapping sets.

Samurai44 said:
Thanks you all guys!
So its like i have set "Black eyes" which equal to 14 , and set "women" which equal to 12 , and the intersection is 4 ..
so P(B) + P(W) - P(BnW) --> 14 + 12 - 4 =22
but how do i know when to use this principle ?

You use it whenever you need to find a probability involving "or", such as ##P(A\: \text{or}\:B)## and you know ##P(A), P(B), P(A \:\text{and} \: B)##. There are generalizations to three or more events, such as ##P(A \:\text{or} \: B \; \text{or} \: C)##, etc.

haruspex said:
When counting members of overlapping sets.

Ray Vickson said:
You use it whenever you need to find a probability involving "or", such as ##P(A\: \text{or}\:B)## and you know ##P(A), P(B), P(A \:\text{and} \: B)##. There are generalizations to three or more events, such as ##P(A \:\text{or} \: B \; \text{or} \: C)##, etc.
That helps, thanks a lot :D

1. What is a probability problem?

A probability problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the likelihood of a certain event or outcome occurring. It often involves using mathematical formulas and concepts, such as probability distributions and statistical analysis, to determine the chances of a particular event happening.

2. What are the different types of probability problems?

There are several types of probability problems, including simple probability, conditional probability, and joint probability. Simple probability involves calculating the likelihood of a single event occurring, while conditional probability involves finding the probability of an event given that another event has already occurred. Joint probability involves finding the probability of two or more events occurring together.

3. How do you solve a probability problem?

To solve a probability problem, you first need to determine the total number of possible outcomes and the number of outcomes that satisfy the given condition. Then, you can use the formula P(event) = number of favorable outcomes / total number of outcomes to calculate the probability. It is important to make sure all assumptions and conditions are clearly stated and understood before solving the problem.

4. Can probability problems be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, probability problems can be applied to real-life situations such as predicting the outcome of a sports game, determining the chances of winning a lottery, or estimating the risk of a certain medical condition. Understanding probability can also help in making informed decisions and assessing risks in various scenarios.

5. What are some common misconceptions about probability?

One common misconception about probability is that it can predict the exact outcome of a single event. In reality, probability only gives an estimate or likelihood of an event occurring. Another misconception is that past events can influence future outcomes. In most cases, probability is independent of past outcomes and each event has its own probability of occurring.