Looking for data on the orbit of S2 star

In summary, The S2 star, also known as S0-2, is a star located in the center of our Milky Way galaxy. Its orbit is important because it provides valuable information about the gravitational forces acting in our galaxy, specifically around the supermassive black hole at the center. Data on the orbit of S2 star can be found in various scientific journals and publications, as well as on reputable online databases such as NASA's Astrophysics Data System (ADS) or the European Space Agency's (ESA) Gaia Archive. The orbit of S2 star is measured using a technique called astrometry, which involves measuring the precise position and motion of the star over a period of time. The orbit of S2 star provides valuable information
Moss Pauly
Hello,
I'm doing a project on proving the existence of black holes. I am using Sgr-A as a test subject and am after the data set for the orbit of the star S2 around it so I can do some of my own calculations on it. Does anyone know where i might be able to obtain these?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

1. What is the S2 star and why is its orbit important?

The S2 star, also known as S0-2, is a star located in the center of our Milky Way galaxy. Its orbit is important because it provides valuable information about the gravitational forces acting in our galaxy, specifically around the supermassive black hole at the center.

2. Where can I find data on the orbit of S2 star?

Data on the orbit of S2 star can be found in various scientific journals and publications, as well as on reputable online databases such as NASA's Astrophysics Data System (ADS) or the European Space Agency's (ESA) Gaia Archive.

3. How is the orbit of S2 star measured?

The orbit of S2 star is measured using a technique called astrometry, which involves measuring the precise position and motion of the star over a period of time. In the case of S2 star, this was done using the Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile.

4. What information can be derived from the orbit of S2 star?

The orbit of S2 star provides valuable information about the mass and structure of our galaxy, as well as the properties of the supermassive black hole at its center. It also helps us understand the dynamics of stars in the galactic center region.

5. Has the orbit of S2 star been studied extensively?

Yes, the orbit of S2 star has been studied extensively by various research teams over the years, with the most recent and detailed observations coming from the GRAVITY collaboration. This ongoing research continues to shed light on the mysteries of our galaxy's center and the behavior of stars around the supermassive black hole.