Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for flexible porous electrically conducting material

1. Oct 12, 2016 #1
    For a research project I'm looking for a material to use as a robust substrate onto which I will apply a polymer. The ideal material would be flexible (or at least not brittle), porous to water and dissolved ions, relatively smooth and uniform (so that an even film of polymer can be cast onto its surface) and most importantly, electrically conductive.

I was thinking along the lines of some sort of carbonised or graphitic material, though I'm open to other ideas as well.

Any suggestions appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2016 #2
    Graphene? (you said any suggestions:biggrin:) It conducts electricity, is smooth, flexible, don't remember the other properties right now (sorry).

4. Oct 13, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How about just starting with ESD anti-static foam? It's not real conductive (100kOhm/square?), but it might be available in different conductivity ranges...

http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j00pZPEGSHdnKbl/Antistatic-Foam-ESD-IXPE-Foams-Packing-Foam.jpg
    Antistatic-Foam-ESD-IXPE-Foams-Packing-Foam.jpg

5. Oct 13, 2016 #4
    Yes, I've considered graphene and it sounds like amazing stuff with many of the properties I want. It is really expensive, though!

6. Oct 14, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

microporous aluminium/copper/beryllium copper/stainless steel .

7. Oct 14, 2016 #6
    You can make it, just get some graphite oxide solution, apply on PET substrate and reduce it with a flash from a flash-lamp, peel off layers of graphene from the PET. Its easy really! For the flash-lamp use the flash on cameras they are pretty much the same thing!

8. Oct 14, 2016 #7
    Alum or copper metal foam? High surface area, flexible if thin, highly conductive.

9. Oct 27, 2016 #8
    Try thin carbon fibre cloth. I used to use it for making electrodes for simple electrophoresis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted