Flexible material that quickly dissolves in rubbing alcohol

In summary, the conversation is about finding a substance that can meet the following criteria: (1) be turned into a flexible material, (2) dissolve in rubbing alcohol but not water or blood, (3) be safe for a medical procedure, and (4) preferably biodegradable. The device being worked on is for use in medical procedures and needs to be flexible and dissolve quickly in rubbing alcohol. Suggestions for materials such as shellac, mothballs, resin, and beeswax have been made, but further research is needed to determine if they meet all the criteria. The desired dissolve time is less than 10 seconds for a thin film of no more than 1/16th of an inch thick.
thedash
Hello! I'm looking for a substance that can:
(1) be turned into a flexible material (e.g., a flexible plastic),
(2) is dissolveable in rubbing alcohol but not water (or blood), and
(3) safe for a medical procedure

... And, if possible, preferably biodegradable...

I know that's kind of a long list, so I'll provide some context. I'm working on a medical device project. The device has to be safe to put on human skin or, ideally, in a human body. The device should be flexible, and dissolveable in less than 10 seconds upon application of rubbing alcohol (or another substance commonly found in hospitals). Because it's for use in medical procedures, the device obviously can't dissolve if blood or water hits it.

Any help or direction would be very much appreciated! If this can't be achieved with one material, but would require a combination of materials, please let me know, too! I'll take all the help I can get (I'm an electrical engineer with 0 materials knowledge).

Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks like there have been quite a few views of this thread (35+) but no responses. Maybe someone can explain the requirement above that's causing the most difficulty for folks and we can work our way around it? For example, if 1 and 2 are possible but not 3, please let me know that and I'll engineer a solution around it.

Thanks!

thedash said:
Hello! I'm looking for a substance that can:
(1) be turned into a flexible material (e.g., a flexible plastic),
(2) is dissolveable in rubbing alcohol but not water (or blood), and
(3) safe for a medical procedure

... And, if possible, preferably biodegradable...

I know that's kind of a long list, so I'll provide some context. I'm working on a medical device project. The device has to be safe to put on human skin or, ideally, in a human body. The device should be flexible, and dissolveable in less than 10 seconds upon application of rubbing alcohol (or another substance commonly found in hospitals). Because it's for use in medical procedures, the device obviously can't dissolve if blood or water hits it.

Any help or direction would be very much appreciated! If this can't be achieved with one material, but would require a combination of materials, please let me know, too! I'll take all the help I can get (I'm an electrical engineer with 0 materials knowledge).
It is really difficult. At first I thought of the natural plastic that old records were made from, which is shellac, made from solution in ethanol, but I doubt it will dissolve quickly again once it has been moulded. So how about a wax, which might dissolve in ethanol but not in water?

Thanks for your answer! Is there a particular kind of wax you had in mind?

I feel like I had read somewhere that mothballs will dissolve in rubbing alcohol but not water...but i think those are poisonous, so it probably wouldn't meet criterion number (3).

thedash said:
Thanks for your answer! Is there a particular kind of wax you had in mind?

I feel like I had read somewhere that mothballs will dissolve in rubbing alcohol but not water...but i think those are poisonous, so it probably wouldn't meet criterion number (3).
What about beeswax and using vegetable oil as a solvent?

256bits said:
You might try something from the plant world, or derivatives
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin

Resin looks like it could fit the bill. It seems like you might be able to mold resin into a fairly flexible but solid material (i'm not sure this is the case because it doesn't explicitly say it on Wiki, but i assume you can). It also seems to be insoluble in water but mostly soluble in alcohol. Any idea on how long it takes to dissolve resin in alcohol - is it fairly quick?

tech99 said:
What about beeswax and using vegetable oil as a solvent?
I like this idea too, thanks! So beeswax won't dissolve in alcohol/water but will in vegetable oil? Any idea on how quickly it dissolves?

thedash said:
Resin looks like it could fit the bill. It seems like you might be able to mold resin into a fairly flexible but solid material (i'm not sure this is the case because it doesn't explicitly say it on Wiki, but i assume you can). It also seems to be insoluble in water but mostly soluble in alcohol. Any idea on how long it takes to dissolve resin in alcohol - is it fairly quick?
No idea.
But it certainly would not be like salt dissolving in water if that is the quickness you desire.

256bits said:
No idea.
But it certainly would not be like salt dissolving in water if that is the quickness you desire.
Thanks - yup I'm looking for a pretty fast dissolve. Probably less than 10 seconds. I'll note though that the substance will be a thin film, no more than 1/16th of an inch thick, though.

1. What is a flexible material that quickly dissolves in rubbing alcohol?

A flexible material that quickly dissolves in rubbing alcohol is called a polymer. These are long chain molecules made up of repeating units that can be stretched and manipulated into various forms.

2. How does rubbing alcohol dissolve a flexible material?

Rubbing alcohol, also known as isopropyl alcohol, is a polar solvent. This means that it has a positive and negative end, allowing it to break apart the bonds between the polymer chains and dissolve the material.

3. Can any type of polymer dissolve in rubbing alcohol?

Not all polymers are soluble in rubbing alcohol. The ability to dissolve depends on the chemical structure of the polymer. For example, polymers with a high degree of cross-linking or branching are less likely to dissolve.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using rubbing alcohol to dissolve a flexible material?

Rubbing alcohol is flammable and should be used with caution. It is also toxic if ingested, so it is important to handle it in a well-ventilated area and avoid contact with the skin or eyes.

5. What are some common applications for a flexible material that dissolves in rubbing alcohol?

One common use for these materials is in temporary medical devices, such as dissolvable stitches or drug-delivery systems. They can also be used for 3D printing, creating flexible structures that can be dissolved after printing is complete.