Looking for summer internship in physics

In summary, Greg was panicking because he graduated from a prestigious university and didn't have any internships, and he is going back to school in September. He recommends contacting people within the company you are trying to join and asking them some questions.
WolfOfTheSteps
Hello,

So, summer started and I don't have an internship or summer job. I graduate in December, and I have not yet had an internship. :( I'm a good student at a top ranking school, with a 3.65 GPA in Electrical Engineering, specializing in communications and signals. (Lot's of upper level classes--like I said, I graduate in December) I kept putting off the internship search thing, and started trying sending my resume everywhere in April, which I now realize was sort of late.

Am I screwed? Is there any way I could possibly still find an internship for this summer? I go back to school September 20th. What's the best way to find an internship in this situation? It pretty much has to be in the SF bay area though.

I'd almost do anything at this point. I'm panicked that without at least one internship it's going to be really hard finding a good job for when I graduate in December.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

And if I don't magically find an internship for this summer (which is probably the most likely case), how screwed am I?

If I graduate with near a 3.7 or so GPA from a prestigious university and a some independent research projects, but absolutely no internships/jobs, how hard will it be to find good employment when I graduate in December?

I'm really starting to panic. Once I graduate, I will desperately need to make money as soon as possible. And I mean desperately (long story). Otherwise I would have gone to grad school.

How bad shape am I in?

IMPORTANT- Don't freak out go to grad school if you don't want to (I did this and ended up leaving grad school without a degree because I didn't want to be there)

I graduated in Aerospace Engineering without ever having an internship in anything other than some civil related internships (no design or anything of the like). It took a long time to get replies from companies for jobs. The hardest part is knowing where to look and being enthusiastic about what you want to do, and selling yourself. A well-written, targeted, enthusiastic cover letter will get you places.

Also, if you can, try to contact people within the company you are trying to join and asking them some questions. Sometimes they will be nice enough to personally drop the resumes on the hiring managers desk. This doesn't always work, but when it does it will surprise you with how well it does work.

But DO NOT FREAK OUT! Keep yourself occupied somehow with something besides job searching or you'll be a nervous wreck on your interviews.

Greg Freeman said:
But DO NOT FREAK OUT! Keep yourself occupied somehow with something besides job searching or you'll be a nervous wreck on your interviews.

Thanks, Greg. Being told not to freak out is probably exactly what I needed at this point. :smile:

I guess I can't go back in time, so I'll just have to do everything in my power to get things done and see what happens.

Thanks again.

1. What are the benefits of doing a summer internship in physics?

A summer internship in physics can provide valuable hands-on experience in a real-world research setting. It can also help build a network of professional contacts and enhance your resume for future job opportunities. Additionally, internships often offer opportunities for mentorship and learning new skills.

2. How do I find summer internship opportunities in physics?

There are a variety of ways to find summer internship opportunities in physics. Some options include searching online job boards, attending career fairs and networking events, reaching out to professors or researchers at universities, and contacting companies or government agencies directly.

3. What qualifications do I need to have for a summer internship in physics?

The specific qualifications for a summer internship in physics may vary depending on the opportunity. However, most internships will require a strong academic background in physics and mathematics, as well as proficiency in relevant software and programming languages. Some internships may also require specific laboratory skills or prior research experience.

4. How can I make my application stand out for a summer internship in physics?

To make your application stand out for a summer internship in physics, be sure to highlight your relevant skills and experience in your resume and cover letter. Additionally, consider reaching out to potential mentors or contacts for advice and recommendations. You can also showcase your passion for physics by participating in related extracurricular activities or completing relevant projects.

5. What can I expect from a summer internship in physics?

The specifics of a summer internship in physics will vary depending on the opportunity. However, in general, you can expect to work on real-world research projects, collaborate with other professionals in the field, and gain valuable skills and experience. You may also have the opportunity to attend conferences or present your work to others in the field.