1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer internship for Non-US citizens

  1. Jan 1, 2008 #1
    I am a second year physics major.
    I am looking for an internship or research experience for summer 2008.
    However, all the REU programs I looked at are only available to either US-citizen or Permanent resident. I am an international student and do not have a green card.
    I know research experience is crucial for acceptance into a graduate program, and I would
    like to do something educational over the summer.
    Besides trying to work for a professor at my school, are there positions available for international students? (REU, research program for undergraduates, etc...)

    Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2008 #2
    Most REUs are funded by the NSF, so you're not eligible for them if you're an international student.

    You can try emailing professors to see if they'd be willing to hire you and pay you with their own research funds.

    With regards to immigration, I believe one of these options should apply to you:
    If you are currently in the U.S. under F-1, then you will have to apply for optional practical training (OPT), so make sure you get an offer by January or the paperwork may not get finished before summer starts.

    If you are currently outside the U.S., then ask the International Students Office if they are willing to issue J-1 visas for undergraduates. Some schools do, some schools require you to have a bachelor's degree before they will issue you a DS-2019 (Petition for a J-1) form. Then you should be able to work for that professor. You should also try to get an offer by January or the paperwork may not get finished before summer starts
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook