Loop Currents for Circuits (using matrix)

In summary: So for Loop 2, your equation becomes, (2 Ω)i2 + (1 Ω)(i2 - i1) + (10 V)(i2 - i3) -(2 Ω)(i2 - i1) = 0Again, do you see how I did that? I took the sum of the individual currents through each resistor in the loop, and then subtracted the current through the 1Ω resistor in the middle.And finally, do the same thing for Loop 3. This time, the current through the bottom 1Ω resistor is i1 - i2, and in the opposite direction of i2. So
mneox

Homework Statement

rhkfhd.jpg

The question is just asking to find the current through each of the resistors.
Our teacher taught us this loop current method, and then we have to use a matrix to solve for the currents.

i1 denotes loop 1 and current, etc.

Homework Equations

Loop 1: 4i1 - 2i2 - i3 = 10
Loop 2: -2i1 + 7i2 - 2i3 = 0
Loop 3: -i1 - 2i2 + 3i3 + E = 0

And we know i3 = -2

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so when I put these four equations as a matrix, I get:

4 -2 -1 0 | 10
-2 7 -2 0 | 0
-1 -2 3 1 | 0
0 0 1 0 | -2

Where first column goes is for i1, second is for i2, fourth is E.

When I put the matrix in rref, I get:

i1 = 2
i2 = 0
i3 = -2
E = 8

Now I'm wondering if I did something wrong. How can the current be 0A or -2A?

And how would I calculate the current traveling through the bottom 1Ω resistor? Would I get negative currents again?

Thanks, I'm just wondering what I did wrong if anything, or how is it possible to have current of zero or below zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
um, sorry to bump but anybody?
i'm still lacking clarity, any sort of input would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Your solution for the loop currents and E is good. Now you have to determine the real currents flowing through each resistor. In case of a common resistor of two loops, you have two loop currents which flow in opposite directions, so you have to subtract one from the other to get the real current. A negative result means that the current flows opposite to the assumed direction.

As for the bottom 1 ohm resistor, i1 current flows downward and i3 upward, so I=i1-i3=2-(2) = 4A downward.
As for the 2 ohm resistor on the right, the current flowing from right to left is i2-i3 =0-(-2)=2A.

You have i2 current flowing through the 3 ohm resistor, and it is zero. That means zero potential difference across its terminals.

ehild

mneox said:
When I put the matrix in rref, I get:

i1 = 2
i2 = 0
i3 = -2
E = 8
Okay, so far so good! :approve:
Now I'm wondering if I did something wrong. How can the current be 0A or -2A?
You need to sum the individual currents through a given resistor to find the total current through that particular resistor.
And how would I calculate the current traveling through the bottom 1Ω resistor? Would I get negative currents again?
If you get a negative current, it just means the current is in the opposite direction of how you defined it. But since you will be arbitrarily defining the direction of currents anyway, getting negative currents is expected about half the time. More on that below.
Thanks, I'm just wondering what I did wrong if anything, or how is it possible to have current of zero or below zero.
It's easy to have a current of zero. It just means no current is flowing through that resistor. A current below zero just means its moving opposite to how you defined the direction.

You have all the information you need already, and have already used it, although you just might not know it yet. You took a shortcut when you created your loop equations (there isn't anything wrong at all with your shortcut, just make sure you know why it's valid). Let me explain with an example. Consider your first loop, Loop 1.

You create current loops by summing all of the voltage drops around the loop. According to one of Kirchhoff's laws, the sum of all the voltage drops around a given loop must equal zero.

So in this case,
Voltage drop across the top 1Ω resistor
+ Voltage drop across the vertical 2Ω resistor
+ Voltage drop across the bottom 1Ω resistor
+ Voltage drop across the 10 V supply
= 0​
where all the voltage drops are measured from + to - in the direction of i1 (You could instead sum the voltage increases that go from - to +, rather than voltage drops [which go from + to -], if you wish. Just pick a convention and stick with it.)

So your Loop 1 equation becomes,

(1 Ω)i1 + (2 Ω)(i1 - i2) + (1 Ω)(i1 - i3) -(10 V) = 0

Do you see how I did that? Check to make sure that this matches your version of Loop 1. Now you already know how much current goes through each resistor in that loop. For example, through the 2 Ω resistor it is i1 - i2, and in the direction of i1.

Now do the same thing for your Loop 2. This time, you'll find that the current through the vertical 2 Ω resistor is i2 - i1, but this time in the direction of i2. The calculation gives you the opposite sign. But since the current is in reference to something in the opposite direction it all works out.

ehild said:
Your solution for the loop currents and E is good. Now you have to determine the real currents flowing through each resistor. In case of a common resistor of two loops, you have two loop currents which flow in opposite directions, so you have to subtract one from the other to get the real current. A negative result means that the current flows opposite to the assumed direction.

As for the bottom 1 ohm resistor, i1 current flows downward and i3 upward, so I=i1-i3=2-(2) = 4A downward.
As for the 2 ohm resistor on the right, the current flowing from right to left is i2-i3 =0-(-2)=2A.

You have i2 current flowing through the 3 ohm resistor, and it is zero. That means zero potential difference across its terminals.

ehild

Thanks for clarifying ehild! I understood my answer much better through your reply.

collinsmark said:
Okay, so far so good! :approve:

You need to sum the individual currents through a given resistor to find the total current through that particular resistor.

If you get a negative current, it just means the current is in the opposite direction of how you defined it. But since you will be arbitrarily defining the direction of currents anyway, getting negative currents is expected about half the time. More on that below.

It's easy to have a current of zero. It just means no current is flowing through that resistor. A current below zero just means its moving opposite to how you defined the direction.

You have all the information you need already, and have already used it, although you just might not know it yet. You took a shortcut when you created your loop equations (there isn't anything wrong at all with your shortcut, just make sure you know why it's valid). Let me explain with an example. Consider your first loop, Loop 1.

You create current loops by summing all of the voltage drops around the loop. According to one of Kirchhoff's laws, the sum of all the voltage drops around a given loop must equal zero.

So in this case,
Voltage drop across the top 1Ω resistor
+ Voltage drop across the vertical 2Ω resistor
+ Voltage drop across the bottom 1Ω resistor
+ Voltage drop across the 10 V supply
= 0​
where all the voltage drops are measured from + to - in the direction of i1 (You could instead sum the voltage increases that go from - to +, rather than voltage drops [which go from + to -], if you wish. Just pick a convention and stick with it.)

So your Loop 1 equation becomes,

(1 Ω)i1 + (2 Ω)(i1 - i2) + (1 Ω)(i1 - i3) -(10 V) = 0

Do you see how I did that? Check to make sure that this matches your version of Loop 1. Now you already know how much current goes through each resistor in that loop. For example, through the 2 Ω resistor it is i1 - i2, and in the direction of i1.

Now do the same thing for your Loop 2. This time, you'll find that the current through the vertical 2 Ω resistor is i2 - i1, but this time in the direction of i2. The calculation gives you the opposite sign. But since the current is in reference to something in the opposite direction it all works out.

collinsmark, thanks for the superb post. It was incredibly thorough and clear.

Regarding your comment about my equation:
4i1 - 2i2 - i3 = 10

Sorry about that. I actually did some other steps to reach that above equation but it was just too strenuous to type out all the work I did haha, so I settled for the final equations.

But again, thanks for your time and explanation. It most definitely helped!

Thanks to both you guys, cheers :biggrin:

1. What are loop currents in a circuit?

Loop currents refer to the currents flowing in a closed loop within a circuit. They are also known as mesh currents and are used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits into smaller parts.

2. How do you calculate loop currents using matrices?

To calculate loop currents using matrices, you first need to set up a system of equations using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). The number of equations will be equal to the number of loops in the circuit. Then, you can use matrix operations to solve the system of equations and determine the loop currents.

3. What is the significance of loop currents in circuit analysis?

Loop currents are important in circuit analysis because they help to simplify complex circuits into smaller parts that are easier to analyze. This can help in determining the behavior of the circuit and identifying any potential issues or errors.

4. Can loop currents be used in circuits with multiple sources?

Yes, loop currents can be used in circuits with multiple sources. In such cases, you will need to use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) in addition to KVL to set up the system of equations for solving the loop currents.

5. How do you handle dependent sources when calculating loop currents?

Dependent sources, such as voltage-controlled or current-controlled sources, can be handled in a similar way as independent sources when calculating loop currents using matrices. You just need to include the dependent source variable in the system of equations and solve for it along with the loop currents.