Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Transformation and Time Dilation

1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    I've managed to confuse myself and don't understand the difference between the formula for Lorentz time transformation (t'=γ(t-vx/c^2) and the time dilation equation t'=γ(t_proper)

As I understand, proper time is difference between two events that happen in same place in a given reference frame.

So what do the t's relate to in the Lorentz transformation equation as they must be something different?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In the Lorentz transformation equations, t is the time coordinate of a single event in one inertial reference frame (IRF). t' is the time coordinate of the same event in a different IRF, that is moving with respect to the first one with velocity v.

In the time dilation formula, t is the time interval between two events that occur at the same location in one IRF, and t' is the time interval between the same two events in a different IRF, that is moving with respect to the first one with velocity v.

4. Nov 27, 2013 #3
    Makes sense - Thanks

5. Nov 27, 2013 #4
    We can write the transformation for the interval between two events like this:

Δt'=γ(Δt-vΔx/c^2)

if Δt is the interval between two events at the same location in S, then xΔ=0 and the time interval measured in S' is then:

Δt'=γ(Δt)

Δt is the proper time measured in S and Δt' is the coordinate time measured in S'. However, if we calculate the transformation to S' of the spatial interval between the same two events we get:

Δx'=γ(Δx-vΔt)

Since we defined Δx as zero in S, and if Δt is non zero, then we get:

Δx'=γ(vΔt) ≠ 0

which means the two events do not occur in the same place in S' and that is why it is called a coordinate time interval and not a proper time interval in S'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook