Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Lorentz transformation of the Gravitational constant

1. Jun 2, 2017 #1
    Since force is transformed via: F'x= Fx ; F'y= Fy/ ϒ; F'z=Fz/ ϒ

(F' is the force related to the moving frame, F is the force on the rest frame and ϒ=1/√1-v2/c2 ).

I expect that G (Gravitational constant) will be transformed between moving and rest frame in order to satisfy force transformation since

F=-Gm1m2/r2

Can you please refer me to a paper or text book on that specific topic?

It is posable to see that substituting the mass Lorentz transformation m=moϒ and Lorentz-FitzGerald's contraction - ro/ϒ without applying a transformation on G, do not settle the force to get the force transformation like. Instead it gets F'=-Gm1m2 ϒ3/r2. Namely F'=F ϒ3.

Can you please refer me to a paper or text book on that specific topic?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Newtonian gravity is not compatible with relativity.

4. Jun 2, 2017 #3

Ibix

Science Advisor

As Dale says, you can't tweak Newtonian gravity to make it work in relativity. The instantaneous action at a distance implicit in Newton's theory violates the "nothing travels faster than light" rule of relativity.

If you want to understand relativistic gravity you need to learn general relativity. Sean Carroll's lecture notes are a good free online place to start.

5. Jun 2, 2017 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

In relativity, gravity is not a force, so this transformation law doesn't apply to gravity.

6. Jun 2, 2017 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He could however have made the same question about Coulomb's constant. The answer being that Coulomb's law is not consistent with relativity except for in the case of a stationary field source.

7. Jun 2, 2017 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Yes, fair point.

8. Jun 2, 2017 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted