Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Transformations in general

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    Hi, I've been breaking my head on the matrix form of the lorentz transformation between one set of coordinates in one inertial frame [itex](t,x^1,x^2,x^3)[/itex] and what those coordinates will be in another inertial frame [itex](t',x'^2,x'^2,x'^3)[/itex].

Now I understand that if have a set of coordinates in one inertial frame, and we then those coordinates in an inertial frame with a boost along the x-axis, the transformation matrix between those two coordinates will be

[tex]L(\beta \hat{x}) = \left ( \begin{matrix} \gamma & -\beta\gamma & 0 & 0 \\ -\beta\gamma & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{matrix} \right )[/tex]

A boost along the y-axis and z-axis are given by

[tex]L(\beta \hat{y}) = \left ( \begin{matrix} \gamma & 0 & -\beta\gamma & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ -\beta\gamma & 0 & \gamma & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{matrix} \right )[/tex]

and

[tex]L(\beta \hat{z}) = \left ( \begin{matrix} \gamma & 0 & 0 & -\beta\gamma \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ -\beta\gamma & 0 & 0 & \gamma \end{matrix} \right )[/tex]

Now I understand that, in general, a transformation from one set of coordinates to another is given by

[tex]\tilde{x}^\mu = \Lambda^\mu_\nu x^{\nu}[/tex]

Where [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is the lorentz transformation between the two frames of references, but I'm not sure how to derive it. I've been told that a general boost [itex](\beta_x, \beta_y, \beta_z)[/itex] is given by

[tex]L(\beta_x \hat{x} + \beta_y \hat{y} + \beta_z \hat{z}) = \left ( \begin{matrix} \gamma & -\beta_x\gamma & -\beta_y\gamma & -\beta_z\gamma \\ -\beta_x\gamma & 1 + (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta^2_x}{\beta^2} & (\gamma - 1) \frac{\beta_x\beta_y}{\beta^2} & (\gamma -1)\frac{\beta_x \beta_z}{\beta^2} \\ -\beta_y\gamma & (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta_y}{\beta_x} & 1 + (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta^2_y}{\beta^2} & (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta_y\beta_z}{\beta^2} \\ -\beta_z\gamma & (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta_z\beta_x}{\beta^2} & (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta_z\beta_y}{\beta^2} & 1 + (\gamma - 1)\frac{\beta^2_z}{\beta^2} \end{matrix} \right )[/tex]

Is it simple derived by multiplying the transformation matrices?

[tex]L(\beta_x \hat{x} + \beta_y \hat{y} + \beta_z \hat{z}) = L(\beta_x \hat{x})L(\beta_y \hat{y})L(\beta_z \hat{z})[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Leonhard, You're going to shoot me, but it's obvious by inspection! :smile:

You have the transformations along the three axes. Just use the fact that Ltt is a scalar under a spatial rotation, Lti and Lit are vectors under rotation, and the space-space part Lij is a symmetric tensor. All you have to do is think of two vectors and a tensor that match the cases you are given. This will uniquely determine the solution.

Let β = (βx, βy, βz) = β u where u is a unit vector. Clearly Ltt = γ and both vectors are Lti = - β γ. The only part that takes some thought is the space-space part. It is Lij = I + (γ - 1) u u. Write out the nine components of that tensor in terms of βx, βy and βz, and you have the result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook