Loss in energy of a ball dropped in a fluid

In summary: I hope it is clear what I mean.Assuming an effective acceleration of g, by the time B reaches depth d, A has... um... 'started' from rest and fallen a further (d - x) metres. So its GPE lost is greater by m.g.(d - x). So the total energy loss for B is greater by m.g.(d - x)u/2. This is less than the difference in GPE lost.I think you have some signs wrong there. But I see a flaw in my earlier post... reworking it.A key statement here is that B is dropped from a small height h. This allows us to assume
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two identical balls A and B are dropped from rest into a tall column of viscous liquid. Ball A is dropped from the surface of the liquid while ball B is dropped from a small height ##h## above the liquid. Let ##E_A## and ##E_B## be the loss in mechanical energy of bal A and B untillnterminal velocity is reached. Is ##E_A>E_B##?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The only force that can reduce the total energy of the ball is the viscous force since it's non conservative.

Since ball B is dropped at some height above the liquid, I think it will travel more distance inside the liquid and work done by viscous force will be more. Hence ##E_B>E_A##.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Titan97 said:
Two identical balls A and B are dropped from rest into a tall column of viscous liquid. Ball A is dropped from the surface of the liquid while ball B is dropped from a small height hhh above the liquid. Let EAEAE_A and EBEBE_B be the loss in mechanical energy of bal A and B untillnterminal velocity is reached. Is EA>EBEA>EBE_A>E_B?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The only force that can reduce the total energy of the is the viscous force since it's non conservative.

Since ball B is dropped at some height above the liquid, I think it will travel more distance inside the liquid and work done by viscous force will be more. Hence EB>EAEB>EAE_B>E_A.

Is this correct?

i can say that the energy loss of ball B will be greater as it started with higher kinetic energy and finally they are having same kinetic energy.

how can you say that the ball B has traveled larger distance than A... one has to do some calculation and check
as you are having velocity dependent resistive force and a larger velocity may not mean larger displacement!

Likes Titan97
@drvrm let ##\sigma## be density of ball and ##\rho## be the density of liquid.
$$F=6\pi\eta Rv+V\rho g-V\sigma g=-m\frac{dv}{dt}$$
$$6\pi\eta Rv+V(\rho-\sigma)g=-mv\frac{dv}{dx}$$
$$\frac{vdv}{6\pi\eta Rv+V(\rho-\sigma)g}=\frac{-dx}{m}$$
Let ##v## be the terminal velocity and ##u## be the initial velocity. Let ##s## be the total distance traveled till terminal velocity.
$$(v-u)+6\pi\eta R\ln\left(\frac{v-\frac{V(\sigma-\rho)g}{6\pi\eta R}}{u-\frac{V(\sigma-\rho)g}{6\pi\eta R}}\right)=-\frac{6\pi\eta Rs}{m}$$

Last edited:
Likes drvrm
@drvrm see the edited post.

well, i was thinking on other lines;

the gravitational and buyancy forces are same for the two balls.
the viscous drag is say k.v... so if something starts with higher velocity will be facing a larger resistive force therefore its displacement will be less in a time slot...

If force is more on B, then work done on B will also increase.

Titan97 said:
If force is more on B, then work done on B will also increase.

this i agree so the energy loss will be more.
i was just thinking aloud logically if B can travel a larger distance to attain v-terminal than A

Likes Titan97
But the answer given says ##E_A>E_B## :oldconfused:

Titan97 said:
But the answer given says EA>EBEA>EBE_A>E_B

is there an experimental check of the answer? if its experimentally verified i.e. the answer than perhaps potential energy considerations may have been taken into consideration- that's a guess!

Titan97 said:
But the answer given says EA>EBEA>EBE_A>E_B :oldconfused:

actually the body B which fell with initial speed will travel a distance smaller than the the body A to to attain terminal velocity and that's why the loss of energy can/ will be larger for the body A than body B .

Actually the viscous drag is of the type F =- kv and in such condition the speed - time curve takes an exponential shape .
speed(t) = constant(V-terminal) x (1- exp (-K1. time)) K1 can be related to (massxeffective acceleration)/6.pi. eta.radius

the body B enters the liquid with initial velocity therefore faces larger resistance and its distance traversed ,which can be estimated from the area under speed time curve till it attains terminal velocity will be less than bodyA.
The loss in kinetic energy will be adjusted by the change in potential energy and net energy loss will be less than A. Though detail graph drawing has to be done.

just see
http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/mth252h/Bogley/w02/resist.html for a similar exercise of a body falling under air resistance.

@haruspex does loss in mechanical energy mean ##\Delta KE ## or the change in the total energy including the potential energy?

The loss in energy for A is ##-mgy_A+\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
The loss in energy for B is ##\frac{1}{2}mu^2-mgy_B+\frac{1}{2}mv^2##

Titan97 said:
The loss in energy for A is ##-mgy_A+\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
The loss in energy for B is ##\frac{1}{2}mu^2-mgy_B+\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
I think you have some signs wrong there. But I see a flaw in my earlier post... reworking it.

A key statement here is that B is dropped from a small height h. This allows us to assume that the velocity on hitting the water is still less than the terminal velocity. Thus, B has a head start on attaining terminal velocity, and will therefore do so in less distance.
That shows B loses less GPE after hitting the water, but mechanical energy includes that impact KE (or, equivalently, the GPE lost in reaching the water).

Consider this: suppose A reaches terminal velocity at depth d. If B hits the water at speed u, there is some depth x at which A reached speed u. How does x compare with h? What does this tell us about total GPE lost from their respective initial positions?

What is the cause of loss in energy when a ball is dropped in a fluid?

The main cause of loss in energy when a ball is dropped in a fluid is due to fluid resistance or drag. As the ball moves through the fluid, it pushes against the molecules of the fluid, creating resistance and causing the ball to slow down.

How does the density of the fluid affect the loss of energy in a ball dropped in it?

The density of the fluid has a direct impact on the loss of energy in a ball dropped in it. A fluid with a higher density will have more resistance to the ball, resulting in a greater loss of energy compared to a fluid with a lower density.

What other factors can contribute to the loss of energy in a ball dropped in a fluid?

Aside from fluid resistance, other factors that can contribute to the loss of energy in a ball dropped in a fluid include the shape and size of the ball, the velocity at which it is dropped, and the viscosity of the fluid. These factors can all affect the amount of resistance the ball experiences while moving through the fluid.

What is the relationship between the velocity of the ball and the loss of energy in a fluid?

The higher the velocity at which the ball is dropped, the greater the loss of energy will be due to fluid resistance. This is because the ball will be pushing against the fluid molecules at a faster rate, resulting in a stronger resistance force.

Can the loss of energy in a ball dropped in a fluid be prevented?

While some loss of energy is inevitable due to fluid resistance, it can be minimized by choosing a fluid with a lower density and lower viscosity, and by dropping the ball at a slower velocity. Additionally, using a more streamlined and aerodynamic ball can also help reduce the loss of energy in a fluid.