1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Low GPA, beef up resume-mechanical engineer

1. May 6, 2012 #1
    Okay, I will be graduating soon with a Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering, but I dont have a good, respectable GPA. So without retaking my classes, what things could I do, to beef up my resume? Like short courses in something, CPR and first aid certificate... Is there anything I could do?
    People say do extra curricular activities but what?

I already know that when you first start out GPA does matter and then later experience begins to play a larger role. But wondering what things I could do to make myself look better.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    Maybe an internship? Have you had one in your field? If not, and you're having trouble getting a job, maybe you could try to get an internship for the summer and then try again for a job.

4. May 8, 2012 #3
    What carlgrace said. Additional courses will mean next to nothing. I assume the CPR/first aid thing was a joke.

You need to shoot for the closest relevant work experience you can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook