Civil engineering student, low gpa. advice?

In summary, the speaker has three more semesters to complete their civil engineering degree and currently has a GPA of 2.5. They have recently started getting good grades, but it will be difficult for them to graduate with a 3.0 GPA. They were hoping to retake some classes to improve their GPA, but can only retake two due to a three semester rule. They are worried about their low GPA affecting their job prospects and are considering meeting with someone to override the rule. If this fails, their only option will be to stay an extra semester and take easy classes. They are unsure if they can get hired without a 3.0 cumulative GPA and are seeking advice on their situation.
ride5150
i have 3 more semesters to go to get my civil engineering degree, currently my gpa is 2.5. i was ignorant and careless when i first started school, i have just started to get good grades my last 3 semesters. A's and B's.

its going to be next to impossible to graduate with a 3.0 gpa, realistically speaking. id have to get straight A's for my next 3 semesters as well as take extra classes over the summer and get A's in them too.

my only chance was to retake a few classes and get my GPA recalculated (kind of a grade forgiveness policy), but you can't retake a class that was originally taken more than 3 semesters ago. That leaves me being able to retake only 2 classes, i could get an A in one but it would be tough to get an A in the other, a B is more realistic. this would bring my gpa to 2.6.

im really not sure what to do. I am in the ASCE chapter at my school, i will have a little bridge design + building + testing experience, but my low gpa worries me a lot. can i get hired without at least a 3.0 cumulative gpa? my engineering/major gpa will definitely be more than 3.0, but I am not sure about the cumulative gpa.

i think my only option is to meet with someone who can override the 3 semester rule and beg them to let me retake a few older classes. if this fails, the only thing left is to stay an extra semester and take easy A classes. i really don't want to do this, it will prolong my graduation.

if anyone can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nothing?

i don't think it will be worth the extra money to take extra classes, ill just put my major GPA on my resume and stress my strengths.

1. How can I improve my GPA as a civil engineering student?

There are several steps you can take to improve your GPA as a civil engineering student. First, make sure to attend all your classes and actively participate in discussions. Additionally, seek help from your professors or teaching assistants if you are struggling with any concepts. You can also form study groups with your classmates to share knowledge and study together. Finally, make sure to manage your time effectively and prioritize your coursework.

2. Is a low GPA as a civil engineering student a major concern for future job prospects?

While a low GPA may be a concern, it is not necessarily a defining factor for future job prospects. Employers also consider other factors such as relevant coursework, internships, and extracurricular activities. It is important to focus on developing your skills and gaining practical experience in addition to maintaining a good GPA.

3. Should I retake courses to improve my GPA?

Retaking courses is an option, but it is important to consider the potential impact on your overall academic progress and graduation timeline. Additionally, some graduate programs may not allow retaken courses to be included in their GPA calculations. It is best to speak with your academic advisor before making a decision.

4. How can I explain a low GPA to potential employers or graduate schools?

Be honest and transparent about your low GPA, but also highlight any other strengths or accomplishments you have. You can also explain any extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to your low GPA, such as personal challenges or health issues. It is important to show that you have learned from your experience and are committed to improving.

5. Are there other ways to stand out as a civil engineering student besides a high GPA?

Absolutely! Employers and graduate schools also value practical experience, leadership skills, and involvement in relevant organizations or projects. You can also showcase your knowledge and passion for civil engineering through research projects, presentations, or publications. Networking and building relationships with professionals in the field can also help you stand out as a strong candidate.