1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low-Order Approximation of System

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a pretty simple question. I was going over an older exam when I encountered something that did not quite make sense to me.

If [tex]\frac{(2s+5)(-s+0.5)}{(s+3)(s^2+0.1s+0.01)}[/tex],

find a low order approximation for the system.

I understand that the pole at s=-3 can be neglected, and that we can drop the terms containing the zeros. I also know that we need to consider the DC gain of these portions when dropping those terms for low-order approximation. What I do not understand, is how the DC gain from (2s+5) term is 5/2, rather than merely 5. Wouldn't you simply plug in a zero for s?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

LvW

My approach is as follows:
    Divide numerator and denominator by "2". Thus, in the numerator we have (s+2.5). Now - as a first approximation, the zero at "-2.5" and the pole at "-3" cancel each other.
    This leads to a "low-order approximation" of the given function. Why do you think, that you can "neglect" the pole at "-3" ?

4. Mar 2, 2015 #3
    The behaviour of the system will primarily be governed by the poles that are close the s-axis (relative to the pole at s=-3). The solution reduces the equation to 5/(12(s^2+0.1s+0.01)), but I was certain that it should be 5/(6(s^2+0.1s+0.01)).

EDIT* I plotted it in MATLAB and determined that their solution is wrong. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted