1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd Order Control system PD controller

1. Apr 27, 2016 #1
    Hi,

This question on PD control is from a practice quiz.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-4-28_10-3-23.jpeg

If you can't see it- the question asks to find values for Kp and Kd such that the system achieves 5% OS and has a settling time Ts of 3s.
    Cs = 3
    Cd = 2
    m = 5

2. Relevant equations
    ω_n^2/(s^2 + 2ζw_n + ω_n^2) - 2nd order form

Overall Transfer Function I found:
    Y/R = CG/1+CG = [ (Kp + Kds)/m ] / [ s^2 + ((Cd + Kd)/m) + ((Cs + Kp)/m)]

Ts = 4/σ (2% of final value); where σ = ζω_n

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the transfer function I found above i noticed that it is not exactly in the 2nd order form. However I was told that we still set

ω_n = SQRT[ ((Cs + Kp)/m) ] {1}
    because when we add a derivative controller it only adds a zero which effects the numerator, not the poles on the denominator.

firstly we know for 5%OS → ζ≈0.7
    from Ts = 3 = 4/ζω_n
    → ω_n = 4/3ζ = 40/21

from eqn {1} - solving for Kp
    Kp = (ω_n^2)m - Cs = (5)(40/21)^2 - 3 = 15.14

At this point I stopped because their answers were Kp = 17.93 and Kd = 12.12.
    Could you explain if the process i used is incorrect because I cant understand what I am doing wrong.

Thank you
    (btw I just joined Physics Forums like an hour ago)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

There are often many ways to solve control problems. Plot your solution. Does it meet the design criteria?

4. Apr 29, 2016 #3
    hi, can someone please have a look at my working to see if im on the right track, I spent many hours on it and im not even sure if this is the correct way.

donpacino, Im a beginner in Matlab, Im not sure how a plot would verify my results.

5. May 2, 2016 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

run a simulation to see if your KP and KI values meet the criteria for rise time and settling time.

There are often multiple solutions that will work for problems like this

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted