Lowest Resonant Frequency Issues

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of wave speed and lowest resonant frequency for a 138 cm string with a mass of 4.98 g and a tension of 6.35 N. The calculated wave speed is 41.9 m/s. The formula ƒ = 1 / T is used to find the frequency, but the answer obtained is always incorrect. The speaker clarifies that they do not play a string instrument.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

A 138 cm length of string has a mass of 4.98 g. It is stretched with a tension of 6.35 N between fixed supports. What is the wave speed for this string?

What is the lowest resonant frequency of that wave?

(wavelength) = 138cm = 1.38m
M = 4.98g = 0.00498kg
Ft = 6.35N
v = 41.9m/s
(It's a two part question, i already know the speed is right, it's the second half I'm having trouble with)

Homework Equations

I've tried all the equations i can think of that have ƒ in them
(Wavelength) = (1 / ƒ) * ( √(T / µ))

V = (Wavelength) / T
ƒ = 1 / T

The Attempt at a Solution

(Wavelength) = (1 / ƒ) * (√ T / µ)
(Wavelength) = (1 / ƒ) * (v)
(Wavelength) = (1 / ƒ) * (41.9)
(1.38)(41.9) = (1 / ƒ)
(0.0329) = (1 / ƒ)
ƒ = 30.4Hz

that's always the answer i get no matter what i try, and it's always wrong.
What's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you play a string instrument such as guitar or violin?

No, no i do not.

1. What is the lowest resonant frequency?

The lowest resonant frequency is the lowest frequency at which a system or object can vibrate or oscillate. It is also known as the fundamental frequency.

2. Why is the lowest resonant frequency important?

The lowest resonant frequency is important because it can affect the performance and stability of a system. If a system is exposed to its resonant frequency, it can experience excessive vibrations, which can lead to damage or failure.

3. How can I determine the lowest resonant frequency of a system?

The lowest resonant frequency can be determined through experimentation or by using mathematical calculations based on the physical properties of the system. It can also be estimated by analyzing the natural frequencies of the system's components.

4. What are common issues related to low resonant frequency?

Some common issues related to low resonant frequency include excessive vibrations, reduced performance, and potential damage or failure of the system. These issues can be especially problematic in sensitive or precision systems.

5. How can I mitigate low resonant frequency issues?

There are several ways to mitigate low resonant frequency issues, including adjusting the system's design to avoid the resonant frequency, using vibration dampening materials, and implementing active or passive vibration control techniques.