How to Express Impedance in Terms of w, R, L, and C in an LRC AC Circuit?

In summary: You need to have all of the impedances in the circuit expressed in terms of Z. This can be done by using the formulas provided earlier in the conversation.In summary, when expressing impedance in terms of w(omega), R, L, and C in a circuit diagram, the following relationships apply: R - Z = R, L - Z = iwL, C - Z = -i/wC. When components are in series, their impedances simply add, and when in parallel, you use the formula 1/Z = 1/Z1+1/Z2+...+1/Zn. To express the impedance of a circuit, all individual impedances must be in terms of Z.
scarlets99
How do you express impedance in terms of w(omega), R, L and C knowing the circuit diagram.

I understand that for
R Z=R
L Z=iLw
C Z=-i/wC

What is the effect of having components in parallel/series, could someone please give an example of a circuit and it's impedance expression.
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Just treat the impedances like resistors. If they're in series, they simply add. If they're in parallel, you use 1/Z = 1/Z1+1/Z2+...+1/Zn.

So how would you draw the diagram for a circuit with impedance 1/Z,
i.e. 1/Z=(1/iwL+R1)+(1/R2+1/iwC)

1/Z isn't the impedance; Z is. That formula for 1/Z just tells you how Z is related to the individual impedances.

If you had, say, a capacitor C and inductor L in series, their combined impedance would be [itex]1/(i\omega C)+i\omega L[/itex]. If they were in parallel, you'd have

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}=i\omega C+\frac{1}{i\omega L}[/tex]

so the combination's impedance would be

[tex]Z=\frac{1}{i\omega C+1/(i\omega L)}=\frac{i \omega L}{1-\omega^2 LC}[/tex]

Likes 1 person
scarlets99 said:
So how would you draw the diagram for a circuit with impedance 1/Z,
i.e. 1/Z=(1/iwL+R1)+(1/R2+1/iwC)
You can't. The quantity (1/iwL+R1) doesn't make sense. It's like trying to add 1 ohm-1 to 2 ohms. You can't do it because the units don't match.

What is an LRC AC circuit?

An LRC AC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a combination of inductance (L), resistance (R), and capacitance (C) components. These components work together to allow alternating current (AC) to flow through the circuit and produce a desired output.

How does an LRC AC circuit work?

An LRC AC circuit works by utilizing the properties of inductance, resistance, and capacitance to control the flow of AC current. The inductor stores energy in a magnetic field, the resistor dissipates energy as heat, and the capacitor stores energy in an electric field. Together, these components create a cyclical flow of energy that allows for the transmission of AC current.

What is the purpose of an LRC AC circuit?

The purpose of an LRC AC circuit is to control and manipulate the flow of AC current in order to achieve a desired output. This can include things like filtering out unwanted frequencies, amplifying signals, or converting energy from one form to another.

What are the key components of an LRC AC circuit?

The key components of an LRC AC circuit are the inductor, resistor, and capacitor. These components work together to create a balanced and efficient flow of AC current.

How is an LRC AC circuit different from other types of circuits?

An LRC AC circuit is different from other types of circuits in that it specifically utilizes inductance, resistance, and capacitance to control the flow of AC current. Other types of circuits may use different components or operate on direct current (DC) rather than AC.