1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LRC AC circuit explanation

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    How do you express impedance in terms of w(omega), R, L and C knowing the circuit diagram.

I understand that for
    R Z=R
    L Z=iLw
    C Z=-i/wC

What is the effect of having components in parallel/series, could someone please give an example of a circuit and it's impedance expression.
    Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Just treat the impedances like resistors. If they're in series, they simply add. If they're in parallel, you use 1/Z = 1/Z1+1/Z2+...+1/Zn.

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    So how would you draw the diagram for a circuit with impedance 1/Z,
    i.e. 1/Z=(1/iwL+R1)+(1/R2+1/iwC)

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

1/Z isn't the impedance; Z is. That formula for 1/Z just tells you how Z is related to the individual impedances.

If you had, say, a capacitor C and inductor L in series, their combined impedance would be [itex]1/(i\omega C)+i\omega L[/itex]. If they were in parallel, you'd have

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}=i\omega C+\frac{1}{i\omega L}[/tex]

so the combination's impedance would be

[tex]Z=\frac{1}{i\omega C+1/(i\omega L)}=\frac{i \omega L}{1-\omega^2 LC}[/tex]

6. Feb 24, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can't. The quantity (1/iwL+R1) doesn't make sense. It's like trying to add 1 ohm-1 to 2 ohms. You can't do it because the units don't match.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook