1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Lyapunov coefficient for function f(x) = 1/(1+x)

1. May 16, 2017 #1
    May I use function f(x) = 1/(1+x) to investigate chaos?
    I am trying to understand chaos using this function, but things are not going as I expected....
    Could you please advice me how I can calculate Lyapunov coefficient for this function?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. May 31, 2017 #3
    It isn't clear how you intend to use this function. Are you using it to iterate something? Are you using it as a mapping function somehow?

As an iteration ##x_{i+1} = \frac{1}{1+x_i}##, it converges to ##\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}##, which is the Golden Ratio minus 1. The Golden Ratio crops up a lot in chaos theory. To calculate a meaningful Lyapunov Exponent, you would need some sort of chaotic time series. Because this function converges, the Lyapunov Exponent would always be negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted