Lying on AIF: Risky or Worth It for Engineering at Waterloo?

• Thread starter tornzaer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, my friend applied to Waterloo for Mechanical Engineering, but he lied on the AIF. He says it's fine, but his grades are not good and he may be rejected because of it.
tornzaer
My friend applied to Waterloo for Mechanical Engineering. He didn't do any extracurricular activities, so he lied on the AIF. He says it's fine.

Will this result in trouble? Do they somehow approve it or is it fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a friend who cheated in school nearly his entire life (Diff major than me). Nice guy, but he now graduated, doesn't have a job, and did not get into grad school due to his bad grades. Cheating has a nice way of finding its way to screw you over later in life, BIG TIME.

I view it this way, if your going to cheat, I am not going to rat you out. But if you get caught I am not sorry.

Last edited:
I don't know how it's done anymore, or what Canadian schools do, but back when I applied to colleges, IIRC, many of them required forms from the school guidance counselor to verify the activities you participated in. In reality, if the ONLY thing he cheated on was claiming extracurricular activities he didn't do, as long as he didn't go overboard with it, I don't think it's any worse than the students who sign up for extracurricular activities just to be able to list them on their college applications, but who never really participate in them.

See, I told him not to do it, but he did anyway.

Have you ever heard of someone being rejected because of this?

I have never heard of anyone being rejected because of this, but then again, I never really considered this situation. How are his grades? If his grades are good, they are probably going to spend less time thinking about his extra-curriculars.

Personally, I think this was a stupid idea on his part. Extracurriculars are not THAT important on a college app.

Generally they don't check, as far as I know, unless he's in the running for a scholarship. I applied to a few schools and one was considering me for a hefty scholarship so they got in contact with my school's counselor to elaborate on the activities I was in (she told me about this later).

tornzaer said:
Have you ever heard of someone being rejected because of this?

No, but I've never heard of someone doing that before either. If caught, sure, he'll be rejected. He's just demonstrated his dishonesty...not a favorable attribute for prospective students. It would have been better to just be a boring person with no extracurricular activities.

Related to Lying on AIF: Risky or Worth It for Engineering at Waterloo?

1. Is lying on AIF common among engineering students at Waterloo?

No, lying on the AIF is not common among engineering students at Waterloo. In fact, lying on any application or document is not allowed and can result in serious consequences, including rejection of admission or even expulsion from the university.

2. What are the potential risks of lying on the AIF for engineering at Waterloo?

The potential risks of lying on the AIF for engineering at Waterloo are numerous. If caught, the applicant can face rejection of admission or even expulsion from the university. Additionally, it can damage the reputation and credibility of the applicant, making it difficult to gain admission into other programs or universities in the future.

3. Can lying on the AIF increase my chances of getting into the engineering program at Waterloo?

No, lying on the AIF will not increase your chances of getting into the engineering program at Waterloo. The admissions committee at the university has a thorough and fair evaluation process, and any false information on the AIF can result in rejection of admission.

4. Are there any circumstances where lying on the AIF is acceptable?

No, there are no circumstances where lying on the AIF is acceptable. The AIF is a legal document and any false information provided can result in serious consequences. It is always better to be honest and highlight your true strengths and achievements on the AIF.

5. How can I make my AIF stand out without lying?

There are many ways to make your AIF stand out without lying. You can focus on your unique experiences, skills, and achievements that demonstrate your passion for engineering and your potential for success in the program. You can also provide strong and genuine letters of recommendation from teachers, employers, or mentors who can attest to your abilities and character. Additionally, you can use the AIF to showcase any extracurricular activities, volunteer work, or projects that highlight your leadership, teamwork, and problem-solving skills.