1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Machine Parts - Relating technical mechanics to the mechanics

1. Jan 19, 2013 #1

Femme_physics

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Can anyone explain to me how is the left-sided drawing related to the right sided drawing? I asked the teacher but he confused me so I let it go.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3036/drawinge.jpg [Broken]

The description is this:

This crane in the drawing is designed to lift load at max weight of 650kg through the described hook construct. The screw in the drawing is fastened by a force that prevents any relative sliding possibiltiy betwee the two surfaces.

The questions just want me to pick a right screw and right I profile for the beam, but I'm not trying to solve it. I'm trying to figure out how do the two drawings relate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hey Fp!

Seems to me the left drawing is an enlargement of just point B, where the weight is attached.

4. Jan 19, 2013 #3

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Hi ILS!
    Oh, simpler than I thought! Thanks :)

OK but then there is this question. Is this also an enlargement of a point?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4981/drawingsss.jpg [Broken]

The structure in the drawing is made out of beams with a profile of 200x100x10, and connected to the wall at point A, C. At point B acts force F of 500 [kN]. Angle alpha is 30 degrees. The structure is welded to the wall at point A through 3 welded sutures, as described.

5. Jan 19, 2013 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yes, it appears to be an enlargement of point A.

6. Jan 19, 2013 #5

Femme_physics

Gold Member

But point A is not marked in the other drawings, how am I supposed to know where it is?

7. Jan 19, 2013 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

In your text it says "The structure is welded to the wall at point A through 3 welded sutures, as described."

That means that an enlargement of point A should show 3 sutures, which is what the left drawing shows.

As for scale, the distances in the drawing are up to 200.
    I am assuming that is millimeters, so that is 20 cm.

The weight is 500 kN, which is equivalent to 50000 kg. Say a stack of 50 cars.
    To be able to support such a weight, I'd expect that the point where it's welded would at least be 20 centimeters...

8. Jan 19, 2013 #7

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Finally got it :) How can I not? When ILS is in the hood!

And yes it does seem like an awful lot of weight... but this is what the question says!

9. Jan 19, 2013 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Good! ;)

So are you designing equipment now that hauls weight like that?

10. Jan 19, 2013 #9

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Hehe, no, but I did design a lifting device; namely jackscrew, for this course (purely via solidworks) But it was just following up instructions, so wasn't an original design. If it was an original design I'd probably make a transformer to do the lifting! (muwahaha :) )

11. Jan 19, 2013 #10

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hohoho, that's a design that I'd like to see!

12. Jan 30, 2013 #11

Femme_physics

Gold Member

13. Jan 30, 2013 #12

I like Serena

Homework Helper

They are exactly the same.
    If you look at the first from the left, you'll see the second.

The horizontal bar in the first drawing is a cylinder.
    It matches the hole in the second drawing where you are looking into the cylinder.

14. Jan 30, 2013 #13

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Funny how you were able to relate them, to me the left one looks like a bench (that you look at from behind...right?). And the the right one just looks like a bearing! But, if you say so, I'll go ahead and trust you! :)

15. Jan 30, 2013 #14

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I checked the measurements and saw they are the same scale.

Furthermore, the top and bottom of both drawings are aligned, suggesting they are different horizontal views of the same object.

When you lean back on your bench you'll have an uncomfortable cylinder in your back. :wink:

16. Jan 30, 2013 #15

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Hah, touche!

Well I'll be damned, I gotta start using my head more... thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook