1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Macluarin series and radius of convergence

1. Jul 21, 2014 #1
    Hello.
    I am stuck on this question. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me on how to do this.

The question:
    Expand the following into maclaurin series and find its radius of convergence.

$$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}$$

I know that we can use geometric series as geometric series is generally
    $$\frac{1}{1-z}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}z^n$$

So,
    \begin{align*} \frac{2 - z}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } &= \frac{1 + 1 - z }{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \\ &= \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } + \frac{1 - z}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \\ &= \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } + \frac{1}{1 - z} \end{align*}

$$\frac{d}{dz}\frac{1}{(1-z)}=\frac{1}{(1-z)^2}$$

Now to get the final answer of the maclaurin series expansion, it should start off like this, right?
    $$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nz^{n-1}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}z^n$$

How do I finish this? The answer I was given is :

$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+2)z^n$$

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have started off very well. Yes, [itex]\frac{2- z}{(1- z)^2}= \frac{1+ 1- z}{(1- z)^2}= \frac{1}{(1- z)^2}+ \frac{1}{1- z}[/itex]. And [itex]\frac{1}{1- z}= \sum z^n[/itex], the "geometric series".

Now, note that [itex]d(1/u)/dx= -1/u^2[/itex]. So [itex]1/(1- z)^2= d/dx(1/(1- z))[/itex]. Differentiating the geometric sequence "term by term" gives a power series for [itex]1/(1- z)^2[/itex]

4. Jul 21, 2014 #3
    I already did that in my solution. Look,

Now to get the final answer of the maclaurin series expansion, it should start off like this, right?
    $$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nz^{n-1}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}z^n$$

How do I finish this? The answer I was given is :

$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+2)z^n$$

5. Jul 21, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have your first sum starting with [itex]z^{0- 1}= z^{-1}[/itex]. Because it is multiplied by n= 0, it doesn't change the sum but I think it is causing confusion. Instead write it as [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty nz^{n-1}[/itex] which is, as I said, exactly the same thing.

If you meant $$\sum_{n=1}^\infty nz^{n-1}+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty z^n$$
    then you need to change the indexing on the first sum. Let j= n- 1 so that n= j+ 1. When n= 1 j= 0. The formula becomes [tex]\sum_{j= 0}^\infty (j+ 1)z^j+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty z^n[/tex].
    Now use the fact that "j" is just a "dummy index"- replace j with n in the first sum and combine.

6. Jul 21, 2014 #5
    I don't get it, how can I just replace j with n, when j=n-1? But if I do that, then I'll go back to square one.

7. Jul 21, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have ##S_1 + S_2##, where
    [tex] S_1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n z^{n-1} \; \text{ and } \; S_2 = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} z^n [/tex]
    In ##S_1## the power of ##z## ranges from ##n-1 = 0## to ##\infty##, so if we call that power ##j## (instead of ##n-1##) the general term is ##(j+1) z^j##, for ##j = 0,1,2, \ldots##. Now you can re-name ##j## freely, because you really have something of the form
    [tex] (\text{index-name}+1)\, z^{\text{index-name}}[/tex]
    and we are currently using ##\text{index-name} = j## because that is a lot easier to write. However, "index-name" can be anything we want, so we can easily call it ##n## if we want.

If you remain unconvinced, just use the alternative of re-naming the summation index from ##n## to ##j## in the second sum ##S_2## to get
    [tex] \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} (j+1) z^j + \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} z^j . [/tex]
    Do you see it now?

8. Jul 21, 2014 #7
    Yes, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted