1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnet experiment performed by a math major (yikes)

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    Let me first explain my situation here...

I'm a math major and out of all the sciences, physics is my least favorite, but I have to take this science class that forces you to design your own experiments. Math is used in physics all the time, but I have a really hard time connecting math to other areas of study, and I am horrible at physics. My final project has to be a physics project. So, I'm doing it on magnets.

I know Iron, Nickel, and Cobalt are the three metals attracted to magnets. Originally I was designing an experiment with three pieces of each of those three metals and seeing how far away each metal would become attracted to a magnet and then measure how much more Iron is attracted to magnets than the other metals. This was to happen on a flat surface with different masses of the metals (50g, 250g, 500g for each metal), but my teacher said we don't have the resources. So, he having me use a ramp and put a metal on a car and use different degrees for the ramp. He said that would be the same as using different weights on a flat surface. Personally, I think he's just trying to make my life more difficult. I knew that if I kept everything flat, I wouldn't have to worry about extra variables like degrees and stuff like that... But no, he wants to make sure I use as much math with this as possible. I know that because I'm a math major, using a bunch of math should be easy, but I'm not good at applying math at all, I'm a pure math kind of person and have been trying to escape applied mathematics for years.

Anyways, what I wanted to know was, what equations am I going to have to use with this kind of experiment? I have searched the internet to find simple equations, but when I do, the letters in the formulas aren't explained. Also, do you have any suggestions on how to make this easier on myself? Will I have to worry about friction at all? How much is gravity going to play a roll in this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The force component along the ramp, due to the object's weight, is
    m g sinθ
    where
    m is the mass of the object (metal + car?)
    g is the acceleration due to gravity
    θ is the angle of the ramp w.r.t. horizontal
    So vary the angle in order to effectively vary the weight between 0 and the actual weight.

Since the car would be on wheels, free to roll, you can probably neglect any friction.

Hope that helps.

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3
    That was fantastic. Thanks you!

So,
    F=mg sin(angle of the ramp)

It's safe to assume that g is always the same, right?

5. Apr 4, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, definitely. Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook