Magnet Repulsion: Stacking 10 Magnets in a Tube

In summary, the repel force of 10 pounds will only result in a force of 20 pounds when the magnets are in contact.
Ok I have a question that I cannot find a answer anywhere on the Web for so I'm going to try to explain it best I can. So if I stacked 10 magnets in a plastic tube, s-n-n-s-s-n-n-s-s ect... and each magnet had a repel of 10lbs, would the total repel be 10 pounds when compressed or would it be 100lbs compressed? Or is it like when u stick two magnets together to they loose much of there strength? This has my head hurting.

Engineering news on Phys.org
eric davis said:
each magnet had a repel of 10lbs
Do you mean ten pounds will "force" contact between two magnets? If so, place the ten pound force against the top magnet in your stack while holding the second in a fixed position --- do they contact? Release the first pair supporting the ten pounds while holding the third fixed --- do the first two magnets plus the ten pounds contact the third?

Ok I hope I'm saying this right, I think ur saying what I'm saying but the magnets will be like this in a tube free floating to make like a spring;

n-s (10lbs repulsion) s-n (10lbs repulsion) n-s (10lbs repulsion) s-n.

Now the first magnet is stationary with the other 3 on top in a tube. All repelling each other. Now wen u take just say a pencil, push on the top magnet downward, will this create a spring effect equal to 30lbs? I know when you do only two magnets of equal strength, the resistance is equal. Like one 10 pound to another 10 pound you only get 10 pounds of resistance. But I'm talking about 3 gaps that have to be compressed. I hope that made sense...

eric davis said:
n-s (10lbs repulsion) s-n (10lbs repulsion) n-s (10lbs repulsion) s-n.
We can re-write that as somewhat symbolically:
F0-->N1S1<--F12-->S2N2<--F23-->S3N3<--F4

We can do some analysis:

F0 and F4 are the forces on each end of the line of magnets.
Since the whole line of magnets does not accelerate after we have applied the end forces, we can conclude that F0 = F4.

Similarily, since magnet 1 does not accelerate after we have applied the end forces, we can conclude that F12 = F0.

Continuing, we can say F23 = F12, and F4 = F23.

What does that tell you about the applied force will be just enough to close all the gaps between the magnets?

Thank you! That does make sense! OK so let's say in a shock that's used in a truck suspension, and in the shock was spring loaded. Take out the spring and replace it with 10-20lbs magnets the total repel force will only be 20lbs then. Thus us exactly what I needed to know.

What is magnet repulsion?

Magnet repulsion is a phenomenon where two magnets with like poles facing each other will push away from each other instead of attracting. This is due to the magnetic fields of the magnets pushing against each other.

How does stacking 10 magnets in a tube affect repulsion?

Stacking multiple magnets in a tube will increase the strength of the magnetic field, resulting in a stronger repulsive force between the magnets. This is because the magnetic fields of each magnet will combine and reinforce each other.

What materials are needed to conduct this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need 10 small magnets, a non-metallic tube (such as a plastic or cardboard tube), and a flat surface to stack the magnets on.

What is the purpose of stacking magnets in a tube?

The purpose of stacking magnets in a tube is to demonstrate the concept of magnet repulsion and to show how the strength of the repulsive force can be increased by stacking multiple magnets together.

Is there a limit to how many magnets can be stacked in a tube for this experiment?

The number of magnets that can be stacked in a tube for this experiment is not limited, but the more magnets that are stacked, the stronger the repulsive force will be. However, keep in mind that stacking too many magnets may make the experiment more difficult to conduct and may also increase the risk of the magnets breaking or snapping together.