Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic circuits and transformer

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    I am a UG electrical engineering student. I studied about magnetic circuits and transformers recently in one of my departmental courses.

I want to find out if I can implement this knowledge practically. So can anybody suggest some interesting projects on magnetic circuits or transformers which can give me an opportunity to implement the concepts I studied?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Where are you located physically? Do you have stores near you that carry magnetic materials for making transformers? Here in Silicon Valley, there are a number of hobby and regular stores with bobbins and various cores.

Alternately, do you have access to ordering from companies like Digikey and Mouser? You should be able to order some bobbins and cores from them, and some magnet wire of whatever size you choose for your projects. It helps to have an actual bobbin winder (even a simple hand-crank one), but in a pinch, if you're patient and careful, you can wind pretty good bobbins.

You can start out building simple 1:1 communication transformers, and test them with a signal generator and oscilloscope. You can then play with some audio projects -- do a google search, and you will find many autio projects that involve transformers.

Have fun!

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    Thanks berkeman our for your reply. I live in India. So there are not many stores of this kind around me. But I'll have to search.
    I'll google for audio transformer. It might be helpful.

5. Mar 25, 2009 #4

berkeman

There must be an Indian equivalent of Digikey. India seems like a pretty high-tech country. Are you able to order from US distributors like Digikey, or do you have to order from Indian distributors? The key for projects like these is to find a distributor with reasonable minimum order quantities and minimum order total cost.

6. Mar 25, 2009 #5
    Sorry but I don't have any idea. This is the first time I want to work on a project. So I'll have to make some research about distributors.

7. Mar 26, 2009 #6

berkeman

I googled digikey india, and got a lot of hits. Please check out the hit list in case it helps:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=digikey+india&aq=f&oq=

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook