Magnetic circuits and transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses finding practical applications for the knowledge of magnetic circuits and transformers that the speaker has recently studied. They inquire about stores that carry magnetic materials and suggest starting with simple communication transformers and audio projects. The speaker mentions living in India and not being familiar with distributors, but is encouraged to research options for ordering materials.
ajnk
I am a UG electrical engineering student. I studied about magnetic circuits and transformers recently in one of my departmental courses.

I want to find out if I can implement this knowledge practically. So can anybody suggest some interesting projects on magnetic circuits or transformers which can give me an opportunity to implement the concepts I studied?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Where are you located physically? Do you have stores near you that carry magnetic materials for making transformers? Here in Silicon Valley, there are a number of hobby and regular stores with bobbins and various cores.

Alternately, do you have access to ordering from companies like Digikey and Mouser? You should be able to order some bobbins and cores from them, and some magnet wire of whatever size you choose for your projects. It helps to have an actual bobbin winder (even a simple hand-crank one), but in a pinch, if you're patient and careful, you can wind pretty good bobbins.

You can start out building simple 1:1 communication transformers, and test them with a signal generator and oscilloscope. You can then play with some audio projects -- do a google search, and you will find many autio projects that involve transformers.

Have fun!

berkeman said:
Where are you located physically? Do you have stores near you that carry magnetic materials for making transformers? Here in Silicon Valley, there are a number of hobby and regular stores with bobbins and various cores.

Thanks berkeman our for your reply. I live in India. So there are not many stores of this kind around me. But I'll have to search.
I'll google for audio transformer. It might be helpful.

ajnk said:
Thanks berkeman our for your reply. I live in India. So there are not many stores of this kind around me. But I'll have to search.
I'll google for audio transformer. It might be helpful.

There must be an Indian equivalent of Digikey. India seems like a pretty high-tech country. Are you able to order from US distributors like Digikey, or do you have to order from Indian distributors? The key for projects like these is to find a distributor with reasonable minimum order quantities and minimum order total cost.

berkeman said:
There must be an Indian equivalent of Digikey. India seems like a pretty high-tech country. Are you able to order from US distributors like Digikey, or do you have to order from Indian distributors? The key for projects like these is to find a distributor with reasonable minimum order quantities and minimum order total cost.

Sorry but I don't have any idea. This is the first time I want to work on a project. So I'll have to make some research about distributors.

ajnk said:
Sorry but I don't have any idea. This is the first time I want to work on a project. So I'll have to make some research about distributors.

I googled digikey india, and got a lot of hits. Please check out the hit list in case it helps:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=digikey+india&aq=f&oq=

1. What is a magnetic circuit?

A magnetic circuit is a closed path or loop through which magnetic flux flows. It is made up of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, and can be thought of as the magnetic equivalent of an electric circuit.

2. How does a transformer work?

A transformer works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through a varying magnetic field. The varying magnetic field is created by alternating current passing through the primary coil, which induces a current in the secondary coil.

3. What is the purpose of a transformer in an electrical system?

The main purpose of a transformer in an electrical system is to step up or step down the voltage of an alternating current. This allows for efficient transmission of power over long distances and also allows for different voltage levels to be used for different applications.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a transformer?

The efficiency of a transformer can be affected by factors such as the quality of the core material, the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, and the frequency of the alternating current. Other factors that can impact efficiency include the design and construction of the transformer and the temperature of the surrounding environment.

5. How is magnetic flux calculated in a transformer?

Magnetic flux in a transformer can be calculated using Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, which states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux. This can be represented by the equation EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the coil and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.