Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Magnetic Field and a Charged Particle -- relative motion question

1. Sep 27, 2018 #1
    Here's a experiment.
    There is a magnetic field vertically downward and a charged particle is kept inside it.
    Simple.
    Does it experience a force?
    Now if we move a speed of 2m/s relative to the frame of rest charged particle. Then it must experience a force right?(Becuz now its velocity is not zero)
    Can anybody explain on this thought of mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2018 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

In the moving frame there is also an electric field. The net electromagnetic force (electric plus magnetic) remains 0 as the two parts cancel each other.

4. Sep 27, 2018 #3
    What is being moved and relative to what can you please elaborate?

I understood that the magnet is being moved while the particle stays stationary or vice versa?

5. Sep 27, 2018 #4

Dale

It is rather confusing. I understood that both magnet and particle are at rest wrt each other and that only the frame of reference is moving.

6. Sep 27, 2018 #5
    I would advise the thread author to specify the reference frames precisely otherwise these types of questions become a guessing game or the other option is to answer from all viewpoints

7. Sep 27, 2018 #6
    Yes sorry. Both magnet and particle is at rest and when i talk about moving, we are moving wrt to both magnet and particle.

8. Sep 27, 2018 #7
    Yes sorry. Both magnet and particle is at rest and when i talk about moving, we are moving wrt to both magnet and particle.

9. Sep 27, 2018 #8
    Whats the name of this process can you elaborate or tell me the theory's name?

10. Sep 27, 2018 #9

Dale

11. Sep 27, 2018 #10
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted