Magnetic Field and a Charged Particle -- relative motion question

• I
  • Thread starter jha192001
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Here's a experiment.
There is a magnetic field vertically downward and a charged particle is kept inside it.
Simple.
Does it experience a force?
Now if we move a speed of 2m/s relative to the frame of rest charged particle. Then it must experience a force right?(Becuz now its velocity is not zero)
Can anybody explain on this thought of mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Here's a experiment.
There is a magnetic field vertically downward and a charged particle is kept inside it.
Simple.
Does it experience a force?
Now if we move a speed of 2m/s relative to the frame of rest charged particle. Then it must experience a force right?(Becuz now its velocity is not zero)
Can anybody explain on this thought of mine.
In the moving frame there is also an electric field. The net electromagnetic force (electric plus magnetic) remains 0 as the two parts cancel each other.

What is being moved and relative to what can you please elaborate?

I understood that the magnet is being moved while the particle stays stationary or vice versa?

I understood that the magnet is being moved while the particle stays stationary or vice versa?
It is rather confusing. I understood that both magnet and particle are at rest wrt each other and that only the frame of reference is moving.

I would advise the thread author to specify the reference frames precisely otherwise these types of questions become a guessing game or the other option is to answer from all viewpoints

I would advise the thread author to specify the reference frames precisely otherwise these types of questions become a guessing game or the other option is to answer from all viewpoints
Yes sorry. Both magnet and particle is at rest and when i talk about moving, we are moving wrt to both magnet and particle.

It is rather confusing. I understood that both magnet and particle are at rest wrt each other and that only the frame of reference is moving.
Yes sorry. Both magnet and particle is at rest and when i talk about moving, we are moving wrt to both magnet and particle.

In the moving frame there is also an electric field. The net electromagnetic force (electric plus magnetic) remains 0 as the two parts cancel each other.
Whats the name of this process can you elaborate or tell me the theory's name?