Magnetic Field from a Single Electron

In summary, the electric field of the electron causes a magnetic field that is not zero in the lab frame, but this field does not cause a propagating EM wave.
kq6up
I understand that an electric field from a string of electrons traveling in a wire gives a steady (magneto-static) field. Since this field is static, it will not cause a EM wave to propagate away from it. I also understand that individual charges that are not accelerating are not radiating since steady motion is frame dependent, and all interesting physics should be frame independent (Noether's Thm).

However, it seems if you were an observer measuring a magnetic field of an electron traveling past you. That magnetic field would be changing in the lab frame. Therefore, the dB/dt term would not be zero. This seems like it should cause a propagating EM wave by my thought experiment. Could someone help me with this apparent contradiction.

Thanks,
Chris

Likes Dreed42
Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic and electric field are tightly related with each other. In particular, if you have an electron traveling with constant velocity and you see a magnetic field then if you go to the electron rest frame, the Lorentz transformation will mix the magnetic and electric field and the final result is that you'll just see an electric field.

Indeed, in the rest frame of the electron there is only E field in a steady state. What explains the lack of radiation in the lab frame?

Chris

You only have radiation if the electron is accelerating.

Likes Symmetry777
kq6up said:
That magnetic field would be changing in the lab frame. Therefore, the dB/dt term would not be zero. This seems like it should cause a propagating EM wave by my thought experiment.
If you look at the Lienard Weichert potential you see that the radiation terms are proportional to acceleration, not velocity. So although there is a non-zero dB/dt, the energy and fields from that term do not radiate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liénard–Wiechert_potential

Likes kq6up
Einj said:
You only have radiation if the electron is accelerating.

Yes, that is what I clarified in my first post. I know that it doesn't. I just need the mathematical explanation as to why not as I try to visualize what is going on with Maxwell's Equations in such a case. I will check out the Wiechert potentials.

Regards,
Chris

kq6up said:
I understand that an electric field from a string of electrons traveling in a wire gives a steady (magneto-static) field. Since this field is static, it will not cause a EM wave to propagate away from it. I also understand that individual charges that are not accelerating are not radiating since steady motion is frame dependent, and all interesting physics should be frame independent (Noether's Thm).

However, it seems if you were an observer measuring a magnetic field of an electron traveling past you. That magnetic field would be changing in the lab frame. Therefore, the dB/dt term would not be zero. This seems like it should cause a propagating EM wave by my thought experiment. Could someone help me with this apparent contradiction.

Thanks,
Chris
kq6up said:

Thanks,
Chris

The magnetic field of the moving electron contains stored energy. It is therefore reactive and does not represent power radiated. It is equivalent to the magnetic reactive near field of an antenna. If an electric field is being used to accelerate the electron, then that has a reactive electric component corresponding to the electric reactive near field of an antenna. In a sinusoidal case, the accelerating electric field and the magnetic field of the electron are 45 degrees out of phase; half the energy is stored and half radiated.

1. What is the magnetic field from a single electron?

The magnetic field from a single electron is a fundamental property of the electron that arises due to its intrinsic spin. It can be represented by a vector quantity that describes the direction and strength of the field.

2. How is the magnetic field from a single electron measured?

The magnetic field from a single electron can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the presence and strength of the field. Alternatively, it can also be indirectly measured by observing the effects of the electron's magnetic field on other charged particles.

3. How does the magnetic field from a single electron affect its surroundings?

The magnetic field from a single electron can interact with other magnetic fields and charged particles in its surroundings, causing them to be attracted or repelled. This effect is the basis for many technological applications, such as MRI machines and computer hard drives.

4. Can the magnetic field from a single electron be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field from a single electron can be manipulated by external magnetic fields or by changing the electron's direction of motion. This manipulation is the basis for many technologies, such as particle accelerators and magnetic storage devices.

5. How does the magnetic field from a single electron contribute to the behavior of matter?

The magnetic field from a single electron plays a crucial role in the behavior of matter, as it is responsible for many of the fundamental properties of atoms and molecules. It also contributes to the behavior of materials, such as their ability to conduct electricity or their response to external magnetic fields.