1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field from electric field given a function of time

1. Jan 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An em wave in free space has an electric field vector E = f(t-z/c0)x where x is a unit vector in the x direction and f(t)= exp(-t22)exp(j2πv0t). Describe the physical nature of this wave and determine an expression of the magnetic field vector.

2. Relevant equations
    Maxwells faradays law ∇XE=-μ δH/δt

3. The attempt at a solution

I have two things I´m not so sure about. Given f(t) will the electric field now become
    E= exp(-(t-z/c0)22)exp(j2πv0(t-z/c0))x

If so, when I use the curl of the field (dEz/dy-dEy/dz)x+(dEx/dz-dEz/dx)y+(dEy/dx-dEx/dy)z
    I assume everything is 0 except for dEx/dz which I´m not sure because it´s multiplied by a unit vector y.
    when I derivate by z I then have to intergrate by on both sides of the max eq. but I get a very complex integral.
    So where I did I get lost.
    Thanks in advance.
    P.S. Describing the physical nature of this wave? Do I need to state that the wave is linaear homogenous and Isotropic.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2015 #2
    Hi. For the physical nature of the wave, you can ask yourself: is it polarized, and if yes in which direction? is it propagating, and if it is in which direction? how is the amplitude: constant or changing?
    For the B field, you can start by determining the charges and currents present. Then you should be able to use Maxwell's equations to determine a simpler relation between E and B...

4. Jan 26, 2015 #3
    Scratch the second part of my answer, you can actually use ∇ × E = –μ ∂B/∂t directly, as you started:
    the curl is easy to take, then integrating with respect to time becomes easy as well since t and z/c0 enter in the equation in (anti-)symmetric way...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted