Magnetic field from free electrons

In summary, free electrons can generate a magnetic field due to their intrinsic spin. As they move through a conductor, their spin creates a small magnetic moment that aligns with the direction of their motion, resulting in a larger magnetic field. This phenomenon, known as the Hall effect, is crucial to understanding the behavior of electrons in conductors and has important applications in various fields such as electronics, materials science, and astronomy.
Danyon
Does a beam of free electrons create a magnetic field like that of a wire with current flowing through?

Physics news on Phys.org
Danyon said:
Does a beam of free electrons create a magnetic field like that of a wire with current flowing through?

Yes. It is one way that we detect them when they pass through a section of a particle accelerator (i.e. using a device such as an ICT).

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Yes. It is one way that we detect them when they pass through a section of a particle accelerator (i.e. using a device such as an ICT).

Zz.
And could you say what shape the magnetic field of one traveling electro would take?
ZapperZ said:

Zz.
And could you tell me the shape of the magnetic field of one traveling electron please? Is it a spherical shape?

That is a little more difficult to describe without using the equation for the magnetic field, but let me try. The field reduces with distance from the electron as 1/r^2. But there is also an angular dependence. For example, the field is zero directly in line with the velocity of the electron. If you draw any circle perpendicular to the velocity, with its center on the line of the velocity, the magnetic field is tangential to the circle at every point. So it is certainly not spherically symmetric. For that matter, even the electric field of a moving electron is not spherically symmetric.

tech99 said:
And could you tell me the shape of the magnetic field of one traveling electron please?

A Google search for "magnetic field of a point charge with constant velocity" led me to a bunch of previous threads here on PF, including this post I made a few years ago:

Magnetic field of charge moving at constant velocity

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical field that is created by moving electric charges, such as free electrons. It exerts a force on other moving charges and can be detected by its effects on those charges.

2. How are free electrons related to magnetic fields?

Free electrons, which are electrons that are not bound to an atom or molecule, have a property called spin. This spin creates a tiny magnetic field around the electron, and when many free electrons are moving together in the same direction, they can create a larger magnetic field.

3. How do we measure the strength of a magnetic field from free electrons?

The strength of a magnetic field from free electrons can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device uses the interaction between the magnetic field and a magnet or a compass needle to determine the strength and direction of the field.

4. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field from free electrons?

The strength of a magnetic field from free electrons depends on the number of free electrons present, their velocity, and the distance between them. The strength of the field also decreases with distance from the source.

5. How is the direction of a magnetic field from free electrons determined?

The direction of a magnetic field from free electrons is determined by the direction of the spin of the electrons. Conventionally, the direction of the magnetic field is defined as the direction in which the north pole of a compass needle would point if placed in the field.