• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Magnetic Field in a Semi-Infinite Wire

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-7_13-37-28.png

Homework Equations

B = μi / 4πR is the equation for a semi-infinite straight wire

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for each situation in a,b, and c I would use the equation I listed above, but I am not sure what I would plug in for R for each situation.

Answers and Replies

Can someone help out please

Thanks, but I know which equations to use, I just don't know how to apply them. I don't know what to plug in for r in each situation.

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The problem is not clear concerning the location of the points where you are to find B. For a fixed value of r, the field will vary as you move parallel to the axis of the cylinder. I guess you are to assume that you are looking for B only at points in a plane that is perpendicular to the axis and located at the end of the cylinder.

Likewise, the formula you gave for a semi-infinite wire is only valid for points in a plane oriented perpendicular to the wire and located at the end of the wire.

To work this problem you need to understand how to obtain the formula you gave for the semi-infinite wire. The same reasoning can be used to help solve the cylinder problem.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Thanks, but I know which equations to use, I just don't know how to apply them. I don't know what to plug in for r in each situation.
The text at that link does answer your question. In brief, it is only the currents inside the selected radius r that matter. For r<b, what is the current inside?