Magnetic Field in a Semi-Infinite Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation B = μi / 4πR for a semi-infinite straight wire in different situations. The person is unsure what to plug in for R in each situation and asks for help. Another person suggests checking a website for more information and explains that the equation only applies to points in a plane perpendicular to the wire and located at the end. They also mention that understanding how to obtain the equation is important for solving the problem. The original person replies that they understand which equations to use but are unsure how to apply them. The second person suggests looking at the link provided for an answer and clarifies that only the currents inside the selected radius matter.
Adeel Ahmad

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-7_13-37-28.png

Homework Equations

B = μi / 4πR is the equation for a semi-infinite straight wire

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for each situation in a,b, and c I would use the equation I listed above, but I am not sure what I would plug in for R for each situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone help out please

Thanks, but I know which equations to use, I just don't know how to apply them. I don't know what to plug in for r in each situation.

The problem is not clear concerning the location of the points where you are to find B. For a fixed value of r, the field will vary as you move parallel to the axis of the cylinder. I guess you are to assume that you are looking for B only at points in a plane that is perpendicular to the axis and located at the end of the cylinder.

Likewise, the formula you gave for a semi-infinite wire is only valid for points in a plane oriented perpendicular to the wire and located at the end of the wire.

To work this problem you need to understand how to obtain the formula you gave for the semi-infinite wire. The same reasoning can be used to help solve the cylinder problem.

Adeel Ahmad said:
Thanks, but I know which equations to use, I just don't know how to apply them. I don't know what to plug in for r in each situation.
The text at that link does answer your question. In brief, it is only the currents inside the selected radius r that matter. For r<b, what is the current inside?

1. What is a semi-infinite wire?

A semi-infinite wire is a type of wire that extends infinitely in one direction, but has a finite length in the other direction.

2. How is a magnetic field created in a semi-infinite wire?

A magnetic field is created in a semi-infinite wire when an electric current flows through it. The moving electric charges create a magnetic field around the wire.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a semi-infinite wire?

The strength of the magnetic field in a semi-infinite wire is affected by the magnitude of the electric current, the distance from the wire, and the material of the wire.

4. How can the direction of the magnetic field in a semi-infinite wire be determined?

The direction of the magnetic field in a semi-infinite wire can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current flow and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic fields in semi-infinite wires?

Magnetic fields in semi-infinite wires are used in various technologies such as electromagnets, motors, and generators. They are also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI machines to create images of the body's internal structures.