1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field in a Semi-Infinite Wire

1. May 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-5-7_13-37-28.png

2. Relevant equations
    B = μi / 4πR is the equation for a semi-infinite straight wire

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that for each situation in a,b, and c I would use the equation I listed above, but I am not sure what I would plug in for R for each situation.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2
    Can someone help out please

4. May 7, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

5. May 7, 2016 #4
    Thanks, but I know which equations to use, I just don't know how to apply them. I don't know what to plug in for r in each situation.

6. May 7, 2016 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem is not clear concerning the location of the points where you are to find B. For a fixed value of r, the field will vary as you move parallel to the axis of the cylinder. I guess you are to assume that you are looking for B only at points in a plane that is perpendicular to the axis and located at the end of the cylinder.

Likewise, the formula you gave for a semi-infinite wire is only valid for points in a plane oriented perpendicular to the wire and located at the end of the wire.

To work this problem you need to understand how to obtain the formula you gave for the semi-infinite wire. The same reasoning can be used to help solve the cylinder problem.

7. May 7, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The text at that link does answer your question. In brief, it is only the currents inside the selected radius r that matter. For r<b, what is the current inside?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted