In summary, the magnetic field between the parallel plates in this problem is not zero, as there is a circulating magnetic field around the leakage current lines. The field is strongest at the edges of the plates and decreases with distance from the center. This can be calculated using Ampere's Law and assuming a uniform leakage current distribution across the plates.
LoveBoy

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor of area 60cm^2 and separation 3mm is charged initially at 90 micro coulomb. If the medium between the plates get slightly conducting and the plate loses charge initially at the rate of 2.5 *10^-8 C per sec then what is the magnetic field between the plates?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My Attempt :-
I don't if i am correct or wrong.
I think Magnetic field would be zero at initial condition and final condition . But i don't know how do i calculate magnetic field at any instant ?

Physics news on Phys.org
LoveBoy said:

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor of area 60cm^2 and separation 3mm is charged initially at 90 micro coulomb. If the medium between the plates get slightly conducting and the plate loses charge initially at the rate of 2.5 *10^-8 C per sec then what is the magnetic field between the plates?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My Attempt :-
I don't if i am correct or wrong.
I think Magnetic field would be zero at initial condition and final condition . But i don't know how do i calculate magnetic field at any instant ?
Welcome to the PF.

Is there a figure that goes along with this problem? There will be a circulating magnetic field around the leakage current lines, but that's parallel to the plates, not "between" the plates (subject to interpretation -- hence my question about the figure)...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Is there a figure that goes along with this problem? There will be a circulating magnetic field around the leakage current lines, but that's parallel to the plates, not "between" the plates (subject to interpretation -- hence my question about the figure)...
Well there is no figure.Simply a detailed question.Options are not there too.

LoveBoy said:
Well there is no figure.Simply a detailed question.Options are not there too.
Well, then I guess we need to assume that "between" means with any orientation, not necessarily pointing between the plates (which the B-field does not do here).

Are you familiar with the calculation of the magnetic fiend using Ampere's Law for the B-field inside and outside a current-carrying wire (assuming a constant current distribution within the wire, which is similar to your problem here)?

berkeman said:
Well, then I guess we need to assume that "between" means with any orientation, not necessarily pointing between the plates (which the B-field does not do here).

Are you familiar with the calculation of the magnetic fiend using Ampere's Law for the B-field inside and outside a current-carrying wire (assuming a constant current distribution within the wire, which is similar to your problem here)?
Well, i know the formula.But didn't apply at all because I'm in grade 12.
For more information,answer is zero given.

LoveBoy said:
For more information,answer is zero given.
Do they say why? It's not zero in the direction that is parallel to the plates. They must be asking about in the direction of the current, perpendicular to the plates..?

berkeman said:
Do they say why? It's not zero in the direction that is parallel to the plates. They must be asking about in the direction of the current, perpendicular to the plates..?
Well this is what i know. Answer is zero and no additional information is given in question.

If we picture the space between the plates as being filled with dozens of conducting (albeit resistive) wires 'shorting' the plates, won't their magnetic fields cancel, except around the fringes of the medium?

NascentOxygen said:
If we picture the space between the plates as being filled with dozens of conducting (albeit resistive) wires 'shorting' the plates, won't their magnetic fields cancel, except around the fringes of the medium?
Could you please elaborate ?

NascentOxygen said:
I believe this situation is the same as the one I mentioned earlier -- it's like when you calculate the B-field strength both inside and outside of a uniform current-carrying wire. It increases with radius until you reach the boundary of the wire, and decreases with r after that. It's calculated via Ampere's Law.

EDIT -- So I believe the full answer is that there is a B-field parallel to the plates, there is none perpendicular to the plates, "between" them...

On reviewing this, I'd say it's likely that the question was set by someone who didn't fully understand what is involved in answering it.

As berkeman says, it involves the application of Amperes Law. The maths is beyond HS level, but there's a graph midway through this article: http://dev.physicslab.org/document.aspx?doctype=3&filename=magnetism_ampereslaw.xml

In summary, the magnetic field is not zero except along the centreline in the gap.

Likes LoveBoy
The magnetic field lines are circles about the center of the plates, and the field strength is proportional to the radial distance away from the center.

This is an approximate statement since the plates' sides are not infinitely large It also assumes that the leakage current is uniform across the area of the plates.

Likes berkeman

What is a magnetic field in a parallel plate capacitor?

A magnetic field in a parallel plate capacitor is a region around the capacitor where a magnetic force can act on charged particles. It is created by the movement of electrical charges in the capacitor plates and is perpendicular to the electric field in the capacitor.

How does a magnetic field affect a parallel plate capacitor?

A magnetic field can affect a parallel plate capacitor by altering the motion of charged particles within the capacitor. This can change the capacitance and affect the overall performance of the capacitor.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a parallel plate capacitor?

The strength of the magnetic field in a parallel plate capacitor depends on the current flowing through the capacitor, the distance between the plates, and the permeability of the material between the plates.

How does a changing magnetic field affect a parallel plate capacitor?

A changing magnetic field can induce an electric field in a parallel plate capacitor, which can cause a displacement current to flow. This can affect the overall behavior of the capacitor and may lead to energy loss.

Can the magnetic field in a parallel plate capacitor be controlled?

Yes, the magnetic field in a parallel plate capacitor can be controlled by adjusting the current flow, changing the distance between the plates, or using materials with different permeabilities. Additionally, external magnets can also be used to manipulate the magnetic field in a capacitor.