Magnetic Field Induced by Nonuniform Electric Flux

• Thread starter Badre
  • Start date

Homework Statement

During the design of a new doppler radar unit, you have two circular plates with radius R = 3 cm and a plate separation of d = 5 mm. The magnitude of the electric field between the plates is given as:

E = (700 V/(m sec2))*(1-r/Rp)*t 2

where Rp is the radius of the plates, t is the time in sec and r is the distance from the axis of the plates (for r < Rp ).

a) What is amplitude of the induced magnetic field a distance 1.5 cm from the center axis joining the plates at time t = 2.9 sec?

Homework Equations

∫B.ds = [itex]\mu_{0}[/itex][itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex] d[itex]\Phi[/itex]e/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this problem as I worked out previous ones, taking the time derivative of the electric field to find the changing electric flux.

B=[itex]\mu_{0}[/itex][itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex] pi*r^2/2*pi*r * dE/dt
B=[itex]\mu_{0}[/itex][itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex] (.015/2) * 2*700t(1-.015/.03)
B = 1.69E-16

This answer is rejected by the software. I'm at a loss for what I'm missing here. I don't understand why I'm given the separation between the plates, I suspect that may be involved in the solution but I'm not seeing how. Thanks for any help.

Answers and Replies

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

During the design of a new doppler radar unit, you have two circular plates with radius R = 3 cm and a plate separation of d = 5 mm. The magnitude of the electric field between the plates is given as:

E = (700 V/(m sec2))*(1-r/Rp)*t 2

where Rp is the radius of the plates, t is the time in sec and r is the distance from the axis of the plates (for r < Rp ).

a) What is amplitude of the induced magnetic field a distance 1.5 cm from the center axis joining the plates at time t = 2.9 sec?

Homework Equations

∫B.ds = [itex]\mu_{0}[/itex][itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex] d[itex]\Phi[/itex]e/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this problem as I worked out previous ones, taking the time derivative of the electric field to find the changing electric flux.

B=[itex]\mu_{0}[/itex][itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex] pi*r^2/2*pi*r * dE/dt
Okay, I think I see what you are doing here (it took me awhile to figure out your above result).

When you tried to calculate the flux, you just multiplied the electric field E by the area, πr2. That would work if the electric field was [STRIKE]constant[/STRIKE] uniform within the entire circle defined by r (it can be time changing, but at a particular point in time it must be uniform across the surface defined within r). But it's not [STRIKE]constant[/STRIKE] uniform for this problem. (Although due to symmetry, the magnetic field strength is [STRIKE]constant[/STRIKE] uniform around the perimeter 2πr, which is why the ∫B·ds = B[2πr] part worked okay.)

You're going to have to do an integration, one way or the other. You have two choices. You can calculate the flux directly via

[tex] \Phi_E = \int_S \vec E \cdot \vec{dA}, [/tex]

and then take the time derivative to find [itex] \frac{\partial \Phi_E}{\partial t} [/itex]. Or, you can take the time derivative first to obtain [itex] \frac{\partial E}{\partial t} [/itex], and then evaluate

[tex] \frac{ \partial \Phi_E}{\partial t} = \int_S \frac{\partial \vec E}{\partial t} \cdot \vec{dA}. [/tex]

Either way works fine.

It may be useful to note that in polar coordinates, [itex] dA = r \ dr \ d\theta [/itex].

Last edited:
Thanks! Haven't had to do a double integral before now.