1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field of a Coil Problem

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a positive point charges q= +8.00 μc and q'= +3.00μc are moving relative to an observer at point p (midway between the charges) the distance from on charge to the point is .12 m and one charge moves to the right at 4.5 x 10^6 m/s while the other moves to the left at 9.00 x 10^6 m/s. when the two charges are at the locations described , what are the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field they produce at point P??

2. Relevant equations

B = (μqv X r)/(4∏r^3)

where μ is the constant 4∏ x 10^-7, and v X r is the cross product

3. The attempt at a solution

I broke it down into two separate magnetic fields

for the first one I did the cross product of v and r and got 5.4 x 10^6 in the -k direction
    then plugged it into the formula and got 2.5 x 10^-6 -k, for the magnetic field

for the second one i did the same thing and with the cross product i got 1.08 x 10^7 -k,
    and after plugging that in i got 1.875 x 10^-6 -k

when i added them together i got 4.375 x 10^-6 in the -k direction but the books answer says that the magnetic field is directed into the page....

i never remember using a right-hand rule for these type of problems so am i just supposed to assume that the -k direction is always into the page???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is conventional for the +k (or +z) direction to equal i×j. This is also known as a "right-handed coordinate system", since the right hand is used to find the direction of i×j.

The result is that, if +x is to the right and +y is up toward the top of the page, then +z is out of the page and -z is into the page. Hope that makes sense for the problem you are working on here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook