1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field of an infinite layer

1. Jun 8, 2009 #1
    given a n infinite layer, with a thickness of D and a current density of J direction in the diagram (on x-), prove that the magnetic field above the layer is constant irrespective of the height 'z'

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_H4Iz7SmBrbk/Si1JMFGiWEI/AAAAAAAABEE/LVo64TBgsmw/Untitled.jpg [Broken]

i had a similar problem in electrostatics and what i did was use gauss law, here what i want to do is use amperes law, the problew is finding the correct path to use. i think that it must be a rectangle path therefore my closed integration will be in 4 parts, 2 along the y axis, 2 along the z axis,, i thought of taking a path of length L, at a height Z,

somehow i need to get 0 for the integration of the heights, so that my equation is independant of z

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take any rectangular path enclosing the full thickness of a section of the slab that is in the yz plane.

By symmetry, what can you say about the component of B in the z direction? What does this say about [itex]\int B\cdot ds[/itex] over the two sides of the rectangle in the z direction?

AM

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook