Magnetic field of off center triangle - Biot Savart Law

In summary, the problem involves calculating the magnetic field at point P, which is located on the Y-axis of an isosceles right triangle made of a wire carrying current I. The triangle has two corners at (0,0) and (√2a,0), and the magnetic field is calculated using the definition for each side. The solution involves finding the field from the end of a segment with a perpendicular distance equal to its length, adding two contributions with lengths of a and √2a, and considering that all segments produce fields in the same direction.
asadpasat
PICTURE INCLUDED
1. Homework Statement

A piece of wire is bent into an isosceles right triangle whose shorter sides have length a The wire carries current I. Calculate the magnetic field for point P. Point P is located on the Y-axis ( 0, √2a). Two corners of the triangle are are located at (0,0), (√2a,0).

Homework Equations

I have to use the definition of the magnetic field for each side.
dB = (u/4π) (Ids x r(unit vector))/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is more conceptual. Can I split the triangle into three different parts and have different coordinate systems for them? I was thinking of setting one side to be along x axis, and rotate the other side. Pic included. Can I add the magnetic field for each side if they had different coordinate systems?

Attachments

• IMG_3144.JPG
    IMG_3144.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,270
Physics news on Phys.org
All segments produce fields in the same direction, into the screen. One coordinate system is sufficient for all. As you pointed out, one segment contributes nothing. Note that both of the other two segments produce fields that are at a perpendicular distance from their end that is equal to their length. One length is ##a## and the other ##\sqrt{2}a##. So basically you need to find the field from the end of a segment of distance L at perpendicular distance L from its end, then add two contributions one with ##L=a## and one with ##L=\sqrt{2}a##.

1. How is the magnetic field of an off center triangle calculated using the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law states that the magnetic field at a point in space due to a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point. To calculate the magnetic field of an off center triangle, we would use the same equation but integrate over the entire triangle instead of just one wire.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic field in an off center triangle?

The direction of the magnetic field in an off center triangle is perpendicular to the plane of the triangle and follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you curl your fingers in the direction of the current, your thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. How does the distance from the triangle affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the triangle. This means that the further away you are from the triangle, the weaker the magnetic field will be. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.

4. Can the Biot Savart Law be used to calculate the magnetic field of any shape?

Yes, the Biot Savart Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field of any shape as long as the shape is made up of current-carrying wires. However, for more complex shapes, the calculation can become very difficult and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Biot Savart Law for off center triangles?

The Biot Savart Law for off center triangles is commonly used in the design and analysis of electromagnets, which are used in many different applications such as MRI machines, particle accelerators, and electric motors. It is also used in the study of Earth's magnetic field and its effects on compasses and other navigation systems.