Magnetic field of plane with thickness d with uniform surface current

In summary, the conversation discussed the confusion about a uniform surface current density on a plane with thickness. It was determined that the relevant equation needed to be fixed before using it. The use of LaTeX and proper notation was also recommended for future use.
SherlockHolmie
Homework Statement
Find the magnetic field due to an infinite plane of thickness d (i.e. an infinite box) that carries current with uniform surface current density j.
Relevant Equations
##\oint \vec B \cdot \vec dl = µ_0 I ##
I'm confused what's meant by a uniform surface current density since this plane has a thickness, It would need a current density distributed through its cross sections, I thought.Edit: I tried solving with proper LaTeX and all my steps, but it looked awful. For outside, I got B=µ_0jd/2.
for inside, I got d'jµ_0 where d' is the height of the smaller amperiant loop.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SherlockHolmie said:
I'm confused what's meant by a uniform surface current density since this plane has a thickness, It would need a current density distributed through its cross sections, I thought.
You thought correctly. Your relevant equation needs fixing before you use it.

Likes SherlockHolmie
kuruman said:
You thought correctly. Your relevant equation needs fixing before you use it.
I said BL because I didn't know how to write loop integral in the relevant equations. Thank you!

SherlockHolmie said:
I said BL because I didn't know how to write loop integral in the relevant equations. Thank you!
You would be served well if you taught yourself how to use LaTeX and write equations like $$\oint\vec B\cdot d \vec l=\mu_oI_{encl.}$$Click on the "LaTeX Guide" link, bottom left corner above the "Attach files" link to get started.

kuruman said:
You would be served well if you taught yourself how to use LaTeX and write equations like $$\oint\vec B\cdot d \vec l=\mu_oI_{encl.}$$Click on the "LaTeX Guide" link, bottom left corner above the "Attach files" link to get started.
Ah, ok. I didn't know I needed to put ## between my LaTeX on here. I'll use that in the future. Appreciate it!

1. What is a magnetic field of a plane with uniform surface current?

The magnetic field of a plane with uniform surface current refers to the magnetic field that is generated by a current flowing uniformly over the surface of a plane. It is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic force at different points in space surrounding the plane.

2. How is the magnetic field of a plane with uniform surface current calculated?

The magnetic field of a plane with uniform surface current can be calculated using the mathematical equation B = μ0I/2πd, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and d is the distance from the plane.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a plane with uniform surface current?

The strength of the magnetic field in a plane with uniform surface current is affected by the magnitude of the current, the distance from the plane, and the permeability of the surrounding medium. It is also affected by the orientation of the plane and the direction of the current flow.

4. How does the thickness of a plane with uniform surface current affect the magnetic field?

The thickness of a plane with uniform surface current does not directly affect the strength of the magnetic field. However, it can affect the distribution of the magnetic field, as a thicker plane may have a wider magnetic field compared to a thinner plane with the same current and distance.

5. What are some real-life applications of a magnetic field in a plane with uniform surface current?

The magnetic field of a plane with uniform surface current has various real-life applications, such as in magnetic levitation systems, magnetic sensors, and magnetic particle imaging. It is also used in industries such as transportation, manufacturing, and medical imaging.