Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field of straight wire, charges travels at relativistic speed

1. Dec 25, 2013 #1

nos

Hi there,

Is it true that the magnetic field of a straight wire is the same when the charges are moving at low speeds (v <<c) as when they are moving at relativistic speeds (v~c). The extra relativistic factor the magnetic field gets from the moving charges cancels upon integrating. According to my calculation, magnetic field has the same value, relativity or not.

I could provide you with my calculation if needed ;)

I presumably expected a different value.

Thanks, nos

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2013 #2
    If they're moving faster then the current density is higher so the magnetic field will be stronger.

4. Dec 25, 2013 #3

nos

Ah I see now. Of course, the formula for B-field stays the same, but the current for slowly particles is lower than current produced by fast particles, thus a different value for B-field.

Actually my question should have been: Is it true that the formula stays the same taking relativity into account.

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  5. Dec 25, 2013 #4
    Yes.

The general form of your question is: "are Maxwell's equations invariant under a Lorentz transform?", to which the answer is yes. This fact is very interesting, as well as very historically relevant as Maxwell's equations predate Einstin's formulation of special relativity; they were a major factor in the formulation of special relativity in the first place.

6. Dec 25, 2013 #5

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook