Magnetic field representation in Octave

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to represent the magnetic field lines around a long wire carrying an electric current using the quiver function in Octave. It is noted that the magnetic field of an infinitely long straight wire can be obtained by applying Ampere's law. The relevant equation for the magnetic field is provided. The individual has attempted a solution in Octave and obtained a figure, but is unsure if it accurately represents magnetic field lines due to their expected circular shape. They request assistance with this issue.
Miss_Fire

Homework Statement

I need to represent in Octave (using the quiver function) the magnetic field lines around a long wire which carries an electric current around the wire. The magnetic field of an infinitely long straight wire can be obtained by applying Ampere's law.

Homework Equations

The expression for the magnetic field is:
groapa8.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote a program in Octave and I obtained the folowing figure using the formula:
11846305_818013438314755_500729020_n.jpg

I'm almost sure that these couldn't be magnetic field lines, because I read somewhere that they must be circular. Any help would be much appreciated[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Pay closer attention to the representation.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a type of force field that is created by moving electric charges. It is represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the force at any given point.

2. How is a magnetic field represented in Octave?

In Octave, a magnetic field can be represented using vector quantities such as magnetic field strength, magnetic flux density, and magnetic potential. These quantities can be plotted as vectors or displayed as contour plots to visualize the field.

3. How accurate is the magnetic field representation in Octave?

The accuracy of magnetic field representation in Octave depends on the quality of the input data and the chosen method of representation. As with any scientific software, it is important to validate the results and consider any limitations or assumptions in the model.

4. Can Octave simulate complex magnetic fields?

Yes, Octave has the capability to simulate complex magnetic fields using advanced mathematical models and algorithms. This allows for the representation of non-uniform and time-varying fields, as well as the effects of different materials on the field.

5. Are there any resources available to learn more about magnetic field representation in Octave?

Yes, there are various resources available such as online tutorials, documentation, and forums where users can share their experiences and ask for help. Additionally, there are textbooks and research papers that discuss the theory and applications of magnetic field representation in Octave.