1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field value assigned to a magnet meaning

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    When a magnet has a value of.. lets say 10 Tesla, what does this mean exactly? Does this mean the magnetic field value directly on the poles has a value of 10 Tesla?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A proper magnet description should specify where the field is measured. 10 Tesla looks like the (maximal?) field value somewhere - it is an electromagnet, so it does not have poles.

4. Mar 21, 2013 #3

Drakkith

What do you mean it doesn't have poles?

5. Mar 21, 2013 #4
    Tesla is a unit of magnetic flux density (B) i.e the number of 'lines per square metre' and so the position should be given.
    10T is a very strong (large magnetic flux density) field strength

6. Mar 22, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Try to define poles as points in space for an electromagnet without a core, and you will see the problem.

7. Mar 22, 2013 #6

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Data sheets often specify the maximum induction present within the magnetic material itself. If that is the case for your magnet, then values at the poles will generally be lower.

The question incolves a magnet (which I take to be permanent), and does not specify an electromagnet.

8. Mar 23, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

There are no permanent magnets with magnetic fields of 10 Tesla.
    If you check my two previous posts, I made clear that, and why, they refer to electromagnets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook