1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic fields/ force on conductors

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    calculate a value for B at a distance of 50cm, in ,air, from a long straight cable carrying a current of 1000A.

2. Relevant equations
    F=Bqv=BIl
    I=q\t = qv/l
    F=LIB

3. The attempt at a solution
    i have not been able to calculate an answer as there are constantly two unknowns and i am unable o fine F.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2
    i believe the answer is 4 x 10 to the -4 telsa

4. Sep 1, 2008 #3
    You're being asked to find magnetic field and not force due to the magnetic field, right?

The equations you wrote allow you to find the force due to a magnetic field, once you already know what B is. However, right now you're trying to find B due to the current. You need a different equation, that's hopefully in your book that relates B and current I.

5. Sep 1, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

yeah johnj7 is right. You need the proper equation. Look in your textbook for an equation relating B to a current carrying wire. Check online as well. If you're desperate and have learnt what is known as the Biot-Savart law, you can derive B from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?