Magnetic Fields Produced by Currents

In summary, the question asks for the current in a wire located in the north-south direction, with a horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field of 4.5 x 10-5T pointing due north. A small compass needle located below the wire points 40° north of west. The solution involves finding the vertical component of the Earth's magnetic field and using vector addition to find the current in the wire.
bobbworm42
A long, straight wire is oriented in the north-south direction, and the current in the wire is directed to the north. The horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field is 4.5 x 10-5T and points due north. A small horizontal compass needle is located directly below the wire, 1.9 cm from it. The compass needle points 40° north of west. What is the current in the wire?

So I know that:

B(horz.) = 4.5 x 10-5 T
r = .019 m
Theta = 40° North of West

I have tried combing F = ILB sin theta and B= (U(0) I)/(2*p* r), but I can find no place to incorporate my theta or how to find the vertical component of the Earth's magnetic field (if it is even needed).

Please show me the error of my ways.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may be over complicating the problem. At the bottom of the wire the magnetic field is pointing in the west direction with some magnitude based on how far away it is and how much current flows (you only know one of these). The Earth's field is pointing in the north direction. It's a vector problem.

I would first like to clarify that the horizontal component of Earth's magnetic field is typically denoted as B_E and the current in the wire as I. Additionally, the angle theta in this scenario would be measured from the north-south direction, not west. With that in mind, let's proceed with solving for the current in the wire.

First, we can use the formula B = (u_0 * I)/(2 * pi * r) to find the magnitude of the current in the wire. Rearranging the equation, we get:

I = (2 * pi * r * B_E)/u_0

Substituting in the given values, we get:

I = (2 * pi * 0.019 m * 4.5 x 10^-5 T)/ (4 * pi * 10^-7 T*m/A)

Simplifying, we get:

I = 0.342 A

Next, we can use the formula F = I * L * B * sin(theta) to find the force acting on the compass needle due to the magnetic field produced by the current. Since the compass needle is located directly below the wire, the angle theta would be 90 degrees. So the equation becomes:

F = I * L * B_E

Substituting in the values, we get:

F = 0.342 A * 0.019 m * 4.5 x 10^-5 T

Simplifying, we get:

F = 3.09 x 10^-7 N

This is the force acting on the compass needle due to the magnetic field produced by the current in the wire. However, we know that the compass needle is also affected by the Earth's magnetic field, which is 4.5 x 10^-5 T in the horizontal direction. This means that the compass needle is experiencing a net force of 3.09 x 10^-7 N in a direction 40 degrees north of west.

To determine the direction and magnitude of the force due to the current alone, we can use vector addition. The force due to the Earth's magnetic field can be represented as a vector pointing due north, while the force due to the current can be represented as a vector pointing 40 degrees north of west. Using trigonometry, we can find the magnitude of the force due to the current alone to be approximately 2.37 x 10^-

1. What is a magnetic field produced by a current?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. When a current flows through a conductor, it produces a magnetic field around it.

2. How is the direction of a magnetic field determined by a current?

The direction of a magnetic field produced by a current can be determined by using the right-hand rule. If the current flows in the direction of your thumb, the magnetic field will point in the direction of your curled fingers.

3. How does the strength of a magnetic field change with an increase in current?

The strength of a magnetic field produced by a current is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the conductor. Therefore, as the current increases, the magnetic field strength also increases.

4. What effect does the distance from the current-carrying conductor have on the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the current-carrying conductor increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that the strength of the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the conductor.

5. How can the magnetic field produced by a current be used in practical applications?

The magnetic field produced by a current has various practical applications. It is used in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also utilized in medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines and in particle accelerators used in scientific research.