Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnetic Flux through solenoid question

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A solenoid is wound with 400 turns on a form 4cm in diameter and 50 cm long. The windings carry a current that produces a magnetic field, of magnitude 1.5mT, at the center of the solenoid. The magnetic flux through the solenoid is closest to?

2. Relevant equations

L=N[itex]\Phi[/itex]/I

L=u0N2A/l

B-u0(N/l)I

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I calculated the current and inductance using the last 2 equations, getting I=1.492A and L = 5.05x10^-4
    Then plugging that stuff into the self inductance equation and solving for magnetic flux I got 1.9x10^-6 Txm^2. But the answer my teacher gave in the solution key was 7.5x10^-4 Txm^2. I understand the difference between these two answers is having N=400 or not dividing by N at all when solving for magnetic flux, but I don't get why. I thought it would be 7.5x10^-4 if he had been asking for the flux in one turn (N=1), not the whole thing.

Is there something I am not reading in the question correctly that is making me think [itex]\Phi[/itex] = LI/N and using N=400 is correct? That is, can someone explain to me why the answer is 7.5x10^-4 snf noy 1.9x106-6?

Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi TDean2010! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Why are you going into all that detail? :confused:

Learn your electric units … tesla = webers per square metre (T = Wb m-2) …

the magnetic flux through an area is simply the magnetic field times the area! :smile:

(assuming the magnetic field is constant … otherwise, messy integration! :wink:)

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3
    Thank you! I definitely need to work on my units and I need to stop over complicating things. After calculating it again I got the correct answer. Thanks for the help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook