Magnetic force between two wires

In summary, The conversation discusses the calculation of the force between two wires carrying current, with a resulting value of 9.3611046 tesla. The validity of the calculations is questioned, and the potential energy involved in delivering 400,000+ amps at 1000 volts is mentioned. The possibility of using a superconducting wire is also brought up, with the caveat that the calculations cannot be applied in this case.
Danyon
I'm wanting to know the force between two wires carrying current but I think I did something wrong when I calculated it. Here is my working.
I got a value of 0.0021365 ohms for both wires from http://chemandy.com/calculators/round-wire-resistance-calculator.htm
1000 volts pass through the wires. V=IR so I=V/R which is 1000/0.0021365 = 468055.2305 amps. Is this right?
Magnetic field strength at distance r, where r = 0.01 is B=μ0I/2πr, which is 4π*10^-7*468055.2305/2π*0.01
which equals 9.3611046 tesla. is this right?
Force between the wires is F=BIL where B is 9.3611046 tesla, I is 468055.2305 amps and L equals the length of wire = 0.01 this equals 43815.13971 Newtons. Is this correct? I've checked a few times on my calculator but I still don't believe how large the force is.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your calculations, but the V=IR one is right.

You might want to consider just how much energy is involved in delivering 400,000+ amps at 1000 V... How does it compare with the output of a commercial power plant? You should expect to see some big numbers, although in practice your wires would vaporize the moment you turned the power on.

Nugatory said:
I haven't checked your calculations, but the V=IR one is right.

You might want to consider just how much energy is involved in delivering 400,000+ amps at 1000 V... How does it compare with the output of a commercial power plant? You should expect to see some big numbers, although in practice your wires would vaporize the moment you turned the power on.

Would the wire vaporise at 1000 volts if it where a superconducting wire?

If the wire is superconducting then it is not Ohmic and you can't use V = IR.

In reality, if you were to apply that voltage across a superconducting wire, you'd probably melt the voltage source as that still contributes its own internal resistance to the circuit.

What is the magnetic force between two parallel wires?

The magnetic force between two parallel wires is a force that is exerted on each wire due to the magnetic field created by the other wire. This force is attractive if the currents in the wires are flowing in the same direction, and repulsive if the currents are flowing in opposite directions.

How is the magnetic force between two wires calculated?

The magnetic force between two wires can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0I1I2L)/(2πd), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force between two wires?

The strength of the magnetic force between two wires is affected by several factors, including the distance between the wires, the currents flowing through the wires, and the permeability of the medium between the wires.

Can the magnetic force between two wires be used for any practical applications?

Yes, the magnetic force between two wires is useful in many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in maglev trains to levitate and propel the train.

How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the magnetic force between two wires?

The direction of the magnetic field affects the magnetic force between two wires through the right-hand rule. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the wires, the force will be at a right angle to both the magnetic field and the direction of the current in the wires.