1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic force on a moving charge particle with friction force acting on it

1. Aug 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A "q" charge particle is moving along +y axis with velocity V0 starting from Origin. A friction force is acting on the charge particle " f= -(alpha)V(Vector) ".A constant magnetic field of magnitude B0 acting along +Z axis. The mass of the particle is m. Find the x co-ordinate of the particle when it stops.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I Have found that the total path moved by the particle is mV0/(alpha)

But I don't know how to find x coordinate with it.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2010 #2
    There is a quick way to solve this problem: write down the Newton 2nd law equation in vector form and integrate it :wink:

4. Jul 17, 2011 #3
    I have solved the problem. I am just too lazy to type the WHOLE thing out here. The solution is kind of long. Basically, get the general velocity along X axis and Y axis as a function of time.
    To obtain this, in the penultimate step, you will get a differential equation that you will have to solve using Complex numbers.
    In the end, the velocities will be something of the type v0*[e(^(-constant))]*cos(wt), where w is the angular frequency.

5. Jul 17, 2011 #4
    You are not even allowed to write whole solution. you can just give hints.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook