1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic force on a rigid semicircular wire

1. Jun 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rigid wire carrying a current I, consists of a semicircle of radius R and two straight portions of length L. The wire lies in in a plane perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field B. The straight portions are also within the magnetic field. Determine the net force due to B on the wire.

2. Relevant equations
    F1 = IL1 x B
    F2 = IL2 x B
    F3 = dF = I dL3 x B

3. The attempt at a solution

can somebody help me start this problem off correctly by converting these vectors into a uniform coordinate system so that I cab take this simple integral?

B = <0, 0, -Zb>

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Consider that the plane of the loop is perpendicular to the magnetic field.

Where will the forces from the B field necessarily be, that is in what direction?

4. Jun 23, 2009 #3

The forces for the two straight portions are easy.

F1 = <0, IL, 0> x <0, 0, -zB> = -IL(zB) i
    F2 = <0, -IL, 0> x <0, 0, -zB> = IL(zB) i

F3 = dF3 = I dL x B
    this is where I am stuck!!!

5. Jun 23, 2009 #4
    Also, do magnetic fields of north or south pole attract or repel either a positive or negative charge??

6. Jun 23, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Is the wire in a closed loop?

Or is it shaped like the outline of a derby hat?

I don't have the advantage of seeing any diagram.

7. Jun 23, 2009 #6
    the rigid wire goes like this. straight up...then forms a semi circular curve...then straight down... no closure stated.

8. Jun 23, 2009 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

OK. So what direction are the forces on each of the 2 || segments?

What happens when you add them together?

9. Jun 23, 2009 #8
    the two parallel section forces cancel each other out. I'm not sure about the upward force. I must take the integral, but I'm a bit stuck.

10. Jun 23, 2009 #9

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What upward force are you considering?

11. Jun 23, 2009 #10
    the upward force due to the semi circle that connects the 2 parallel sections of the overall wire. F3

12. Jun 23, 2009 #11

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

So long as you mean upward in the y direction and not out of the paper in z , as there is no force in the || direction to the B field. The cross product will only yield x,y forces. (The plane of your wire.)

Since the semi-circle is symmetrical, then you can ignore any x-directed forces, taking x to be perpendicular to the straight wires.

So maybe set up an integral of just the y-component recognizing that you can express the Force component in y as R*sinθ, where θ is the angle with the x axis. From 0 to π, since it is a semi-circle should do it don't you think?

13. Jun 23, 2009 #12
    that's what i've been trying to do...

dF3 = IdL x B how does the integral of dF3 equal to the integral of Rsin@ d@?????

14. Jun 24, 2009 #13

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Note that your F3 can be written as

dF3(θ) = |dF3|cosθ i + |dF3|sinθ j

but by symmetry for each positive directed |dF3|cosθ i you have on the other side of the mid-line a negative |dF3|cosθ i component. This resolves itself into

dF3(θ) = |dF3|sinθ j

F3(θ) = ∫ |dF3|sinθ dθ , evaluated from 0 to π

This force is all y-directed, since all x-directed force has canceled with each other.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  15. Jun 24, 2009 #14

Isn't there another way to set this integral up? Can I convert all this into spherical coordinates?

I'm asking this because step by step i'm not sure how to get to above after I write down the equation dF3= IdL x B. B = <0, 0, -Bz>. IdL= <? , ?, ?>

16. Jun 24, 2009 #15

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Why would you want to do that?

Have you evaluated the integral of Sinθ from 0 to π yet?

Why try to thrash about on it?

17. Jun 24, 2009 #16
    Yes, and I got -2.

What I'm wondering is this step:

dF3= dF3 cos@ i + dF3 sin@ j. = IR d@ x B

IR d@ =<?, ?, ?>
    B = <0, 0, -Bz>

18. Jun 24, 2009 #17

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

OK so you know then that the vertically directed force in the j direction is going to be proportional to 2R. (The same as if you had a straight wire 2R long bridging the same gap.)

The i components, if you were to evaluate that integral will be the integral of cosθ from 0 to π, which looks to me to be 0. I ignored their contribution, recognizing from symmetry that for each wire element with +i directed force, there is an equal and opposite -i directed force element. The sum of all those will be 0.

19. Jun 24, 2009 #18
    I'm not sure how (IR d@ x B) distributes into dF cos@ i + dF sin@ j

(IRd@ x B) cos@ i + (IRd@ x B) sin@ j

How would you evaluate this integral?

20. Jun 24, 2009 #19
    Thanks for pointing out the symmetry that cancels out the I component. I see that, but I don't see the technique to evaluate the j component

21. Jun 24, 2009 #20

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Perhaps I see your confusion.

Note I wrote my force component equation based on the cross product already taken. I was expressing the components of the force on the individual wire elements as a function of θ from intuition. Then taking the integral.

I think the current-wire elements are originally directed as <I*sinθ, I*cosθ, 0> This gets crossed with <0, 0, B*k>

I think this results in <B*I*cosθ, B*I*sinθ, 0> which I integrated to give
    <0, 2R*B*I, 0>

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook