1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Force on current-carrying wire

1. Aug 28, 2014 #1
    Not necessarily a homework question but this is pretty fundamental. I can't get a decent derivation online.

If the length of the wire in the uniform magnetic field is [itex]l[/itex] and it moves a distance [itex]\delta s[/itex] in [itex]\delta t[/itex]:

From the Lorentz Force Law:

[itex]\vec{F} = q\vec{v}\times\vec{B}[/itex]

if flux is cut at [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]:

[itex]\vec{F} = q\vec{v}\vec{B}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{v} = \frac{d\vec{s}}{dt}[/itex], [itex]q = \int I dt[/itex]

[itex]\vec{F} = \vec{B}\frac{d\vec{s}}{dt} \int I dt[/itex]

That is about as far as I get, not sure how the length of the conductor [itex]l[/itex] comes into it?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let us try to get the question right: The force you want to calculate is the force on a current-carrying wire. (This is what I read in the title). But then the wire moves a distance ##\delta\,\vec s##, so more is happening ?

"If the flux is cut at ##\pi\over 2##" means what ? The wire is perpendicular to ##\vec B##, ##\delta\,\vec s## is perpendicular to both ?

Can I see a drawing ?

You are apparently not happy with this derivation ? Isn't it sufficient to adjust the ##\vec v## vector for the case the wire isn't stationary ?

4. Aug 28, 2014 #3
    Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately I don't have a diagram, you are correct in your statement that the wire in this example is perpendicular to both the uniform magnetic field and the velocity vector.

I don't really follow the context of that particular derivation you have referred to. I suppose if I were to describe the problem qualitatively the question I am asking is what is the relation between current and velocity for a wire moving through a uniform magnetic field.

Maybe I am slightly off track. I find the concept of the induced emf due to the flux linkage relatively easy to grasp. I am now asking what is the relation to current?

5. Aug 28, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but everything can be brought back to the Lorentz force: Induced emf is a ##\vec v## of the charge carriers in a conductor, a wire in this case, due to the wire itself moving. Force on a current-carrying wire is a ##\vec v## of the charge carriers moving within the wire.

My impression was you do not necessarily want to dig into the case of a combination of the two, but I could be wrong, however:
    tells me otherwise.

Are you comfortable with the q v = q L/t = q/t L = I L steps in the derivation ?

The effect of the v from moving the wire simply adds (vector wise) to the effect of the movement
    within the wire.

Suppose the wire is moving downward in their picture, then all I can think of is that the red velocity vector rotates a bit clockwise (with the component along the wire remaining the same magnitude). And with that rotation, the F vector also rotates by the same amount, thus pushing the charge carriers a bit towards the right end of the wire. I can't do much in the sense of physics with that, however: bringing about a current I in the wire has become a little easier. But we don't look at external stuff like a current source or so.

I think it would be wise to move on to further exercises with wire frames moving through zones with a magnetic field and such. Perhaps the links in the link also provide some insight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted